• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Operations for uninsured patient

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

myys

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My son has been hospitalized due to a blockage in his colon. He doesn't have any insurance & the Doctor has informed him that they won't operate unless he can get $2000.00 of the $7000.00 cost of the operation. This is a public hospital.

I'm in another state & I don't know if the Hillburton is still in effect or what options he has since they say he will die if the blockage isn't removed. Is this legal? The patience advocate hasn't gotten back to him yet. At 37 years this has caused his pressure to rise dangerously high & of course he's extremely depressed. He has been hospitalized for over a week.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

ellencee

myys
Advise your son to call a local medical malpractice attorney for assistance. Also, advise your son to call the local department of social services, Medicaid department.

I advise that your son request to be transferred to another not-for-profit hospital. I certainly would not want to be operated on by a physician who indicates he would allow me to die if I did not have $2,000 and I would not feel safe in a hospital that allowed this type of patient intimidation.

EC

Last edited:

myys

Thank you so much, I agree with everything you've said.

Unfortunately, the Doctor has frighten him into submission. He is trying to get a loan. He is fearful that his care will be compremised due to my aggressive actions, contact a lawyer, newspapers etc..

Thanking you in advance, :confused:

ellencee

myys
You haven't stated whether or not your son would qualify for Medicaid but if he does and he is being intimidated into trying to get a loan while more and more of his intestines are being damaged, I suggest that you call the state senator for that area and ask for immediate assistance for your son. Call the hospital administrator; call the state hospital licensing board; call everyone with any regulatory influence.

I am outraged that a surgeon would allow a patient in need of critical surgery to be left untreated while the patient arranges financing. If your son ends up with a colostomy or worse, I hope he sues the surgeon for everything the surgeon owns, right down to the plates he eats off of, the forks, knives, and spoons, the table and chairs...

EC

Last edited:

myys

My son does have a job but will not be able to go directly back to work. He is a truck driver & does unloading/loading. He makes about $10.00 hr I don't know if he would qualify. He also so supports 2children (his own).

I am forwarding your advise to my family in NJ. Fear is a monster it has now infected me, I realize the outcome could be fatal & I will blame myself. Every minute counts & I must do what I can.

Thank you so much,

Sandy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">