• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I even bother?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

harryhermit

What is the name of your state? CA

Hi all,

Wow what a terrific forum. I've never been to a forum that was so helpful. Anyhow, I'm going through some problems with my ex-roommate. When he moved in he agreed, along with my two other roommates, that rent and utilities were going to be split 4 ways. Well, earlier in his stay, he had financial problems and was barely making ends meet working as a scab for the supermarkets during the strike. One month I spotted him for rent because I didn't want to get evicted for not making rent payment and every single month he claimed he did not have enough money to pay the $50 or so in utilities. The amount he owed me accumulated to $700+.

Two months ago he found a job earning $2000+ a month. I continually asked him to pay me, but he kept on coming back with excuses how he couldn't afford it. Finally he said he was going to pay me back once his tax return came in. Well it did, and he gave me a check, but only for $300 and said he would try to give me the rest in 2 months. Well, he moved out only giving us a weeks notice (his name was not on the lease) and didn't give us his new address. On the day he moved out, he said he would stop by and give me the remaining amount owed. Well, this guy is now MIA. I've tried calling him at least 4 times and instant messaged him at least a dozen times and every time I receive no reply. I don't know where he currently lives or work but I do have his parent's address.

Would I have a case against this guy? This was a verbal agreement made between all the roommates (all considered friends), and he didn't keep up his end of the bargain. I have proof that I paid rent and utilites every month since every thing is in my name. I also have my two other roommates I can use as witnesses that heard directly from his mouth that he was going to pay me back. I can also get a written letter from another person he did this to. He still owes me $450+ from utilities and a weeks worth of rent for the time he still had his stuff in our place.

Should I even bother? We've never fought and we never spoke ill to eachother. As far was I was concerned, we were friends so I really don't know why he did this to me. I'm annoyed that he has the ability to pay me and chooses not to. Right now, I just want to take him to court on principal alone.

A

amykrazy

good case for judge judy...

I would think you have a case, but it would be hard to prove if there was nothing in writing. This has happened to me in the past, it's more of a live and learn lesson than anything. His kharma will get him before the courts do. Do you even know for sure he got a 'real' job, maybe he made that up and paid you some money to make you happy while he could get out of dodge. I would say let it go... if you are okay without the money, next time get the agreements in writing and ask for deposit money and don't lend money to friends/roommates... If he didn't steal anything and is not bothering you now, just let him go. Of course, I would love to know what his reasons for screwing you were on Judge Judy. www.judgejudy.com :eek:)

JETX

And 'amykrazy' is wrong.... AGAIN!!!

harryhermit said:
Would I have a case against this guy?
Yes. Simply show the court that all expenses were split into quarters and that you were paying half the utilities, etc. during the time that the 'ex' was in residence. That should be sufficient to show the court that a verbal agreement existed.

Should I even bother?
Of course, only YOU can answer that question.

H

harryhermit

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I was thinking about just turning the other cheek, but I have a feeling this guy will do this again and again. He needs to learn a lesson, albeit a very small one. I know he has the ability to pay me because he once left his online banking statement open and I glanced to see that he had $2300 in his account! And the following week he was looking up cars on ebay. If he's trying to hide the fact that he has money, he's doing a poor job of it.

I think I'm set on taking him to court. That's not chump change for me and I could really use it. Unfortunately, I don't have proof that I paid half during his stay since all the bills were in my name, so I was in charge of mailing out the checks in full. My other roommates paid in cash, but can testify that there was an agreement and he never paid once. Well we'll see, it costs so little to file and my time is worth nothing to me at this point in my life, I have so much of it! Thanks for the advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">