• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a car rental co. do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmacloskey

What is the name of your state? Ca.
I rented a car for my ex-wife from Horizon Rent a Car. I used my visa/atm card. She returned the car and all was fine until....2 months later when my ex and her sister went back to Horizon and rented another car which I did not know about. She had kept the car longer than she should of and couldn't pay for it all. Meanwhile $750 was withdrawn from my checking account. Horizon went back and used my visa/atm info from the first and only time I went there. I never signed for the second car. My wife and I are not legaly divorced yet. Can they do this?

Thanks

HomeGuru

mmacloskey said:
What is the name of your state? Ca.
I rented a car for my ex-wife from Horizon Rent a Car. I used my visa/atm card. She returned the car and all was fine until....2 months later when my ex and her sister went back to Horizon and rented another car which I did not know about. She had kept the car longer than she should of and couldn't pay for it all. Meanwhile $750 was withdrawn from my checking account. Horizon went back and used my visa/atm info from the first and only time I went there. I never signed for the second car. My wife and I are not legaly divorced yet. Can they do this?

Thanks

**A: it depends upon the terms and conditions in the contracts that were signed.

P

PANDAPIZZA

pandapizza

I am a merchant and take credit cards. I know that if we dont have an imprint of a card for a transaction and a customer contests the charge, wheather it is a debit or credit card we will be issued a chargeback along with a fee. If you go to your bank and contest it as a fraudulent charge and sign a complaint you should get your money back. I live in pa and had a fraudulent charge where I did not sign for a purchase, it was a debit from my checking account, I filed a police report and had the police call the merchant and the charge/debit was removed quickly. Your ex not being able to pay is not your problem it is Horizons. If the bank can't or won't help you the police should. They basically stole your money. I hope this helps and you get your money back quick.

mmacloskey

PANDAPIZZA said:
I am a merchant and take credit cards. I know that if we dont have an imprint of a card for a transaction and a customer contests the charge, wheather it is a debit or credit card we will be issued a chargeback along with a fee. If you go to your bank and contest it as a fraudulent charge and sign a complaint you should get your money back. I live in pa and had a fraudulent charge where I did not sign for a purchase, it was a debit from my checking account, I filed a police report and had the police call the merchant and the charge/debit was removed quickly. Your ex not being able to pay is not your problem it is Horizons. If the bank can't or won't help you the police should. They basically stole your money. I hope this helps and you get your money back quick.

Thanks for the advise. I'll file a police report tomorrow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">