• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bally's Total Fitness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HollyBonJovi

What is the name of your state? CT

Hi, my friend and I signed up at Bally's Total Fitness for two years. John, the manager, signed us up as a 'two for one' which was a special co-sponsored by Discovery Health. He verbally explained everyhting to us. He was late for a Super Bowl Party and rushed us through everything. I stupidly, I mean STUPIDLY, signed the contract only to find out later it was only for one person. My friend was given only a 10 day pass. Bally's was to deduct monthly payments from my account. My friend went in to get her permanent card and they did not have her on file. John says we were suppose to return within 10 days to put a second deposit down (?????) We had returned twice in those ten days to work out seeing him each time. He never mentioned anything about more money. We were told in the beginning everything would be auto deducted from my bank account.

Now I am stuck with a membership that I don't want; alone- we signed up together because neither of us wanted to work out alone. My questions are:
1. He verbally explained the contract to which we noth agreed, I then signed this written which turned out to be very different. Any recourse on the verbal part?
2. I'm now stuck with a $1600 bill. Can I legally request half from my friend? She hasn't offered, I've been afraid to ask.

Thank you

A

amykrazy

the squeaky wheel...

Because you signed a contract you are most likely stuck, unless you read the fine print. Usually in there it says you can cancel the contract if you move more than 50 miles away from the gym, etc... However, in my experience as a gym member, I see them renegotiate all the time, so I would think the more you question and the more noise you make there the more likely they are to want to shut you up. The last thing they want is for someone to be discouraging people from working out (or joining their gym) becuase of some looney woman at the front desk every day. Call the managers, call their managers, explain IN WRITING what happened the day you signed up... keep trying until they make it right. If they give your friend a free membership, then ask for 1/2 the money, otherwise that's not fair to ask of her. Good Luck.

JETX

HollyBonJovi said:
He verbally explained the contract to which we noth agreed, I then signed this written which turned out to be very different. Any recourse on the verbal part?
No. The written agreement will always 'trump' any claims of spoken words. It is far too easy for each party to say what they want.

I'm now stuck with a $1600 bill. Can I legally request half from my friend?
Of course you can ask... but she would be a fool to pay you for something when she gets nothing..... and you will absolutely LOSE your friend.

BTW, don't believe 'amykrazy' when she said: "Usually in there it says you can cancel the contract if you move more than 50 miles away from the gym, etc..." because it is NOT true. The gym has to move their facility away from YOU, not you moving.

HollyBonJovi

Ballysucks.net

Thank you for your advice. I wish I had
A. gone to Ballysucks.net to read how the rest of the world has been screwed and of course
B. READ what I was signing
I am just shocked at how any people out there have been wronged by this company. And it's allowed... How do they sleep??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">