• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need advice in Calif - help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

amykrazy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
I was renting a house from a friend, all contracts were verbal. After living there over a year, gave 30 days notice (verbal) that I was moving and would turn over keys on 08/10/04. On weekend of move -08/08-09/04, owners entered house and removed, maliciously damaged and threw out all my remaining items, including LIVE fish that were in a fish tank still plugged into the wall. Shoes and clothing were destroyed with scissors or knives, things were broken in half, thrown in driveway and unable to recover based on condition. Called police when returning to house on 08/09/04 to remove rest of things because saw that someone was in the house, police returned with me and wrote report on 'vandalism' or similar (have not seen final report yet). Owners were 'crazy' and laughing at me, saying I had to pay for new this and that which was not previously damaged when I left house on moving day (08/07). Big shock to me, I thought they were friends and 'normal' - apparently having a psychotic break of some sort or on drugs... I have no idea. I owe them 10 days of rent, but have not paid because of this incident. I do not know what to do. Should I sue them over my vandalized property (I took some pictures) or wait for them to sue me over whatever false accusations they come up with? Help! Thanks, Amy

H

harryhermit

OMG, they sound really psycho. Do you have proof that they did this to your stuff? Is the amount of rent equal to more or less than the total value of your damaged property? I don't know what I would do, but I guess if it was more than the total amount of the damaged property, I would hold off. I wish I knew more about the law to give you some sound advice. Good luck

A

amykrazy

this is the correct forum for this post

I apologize for the dup posts, but I did not realize this was where this question should be when I first found the site.

To answer the other questions, the rent for 10 days was about $200, the value of the destroyed property far exceeds that amount. Since I had to go to the store and get more work clothes and a pair of shoes (which were all destroyed) I spent what was going to be used to pay the rent money. So, right now I am drafting a letter to them as a 'demand for payment' to reimburse me for the destroyed goods, which I expect them to ignore, but in which I explain I am withholding rent payment for the 10 days and deducting that amount from the demand amount.

I expect to end up in court, either through their filing or my own... I would appreciate any advice as to what to sue them for or present in my case that would be helpful... I also have some voice messages these people left on my cell phone the day this happened, those are even more scary.

cmorris

You need to pay the rent. It looks bad on you if you don't. Pay the rent and take them to court for what they destroyed. Use pictures, police report, voice mails, etc as evidence. Witnesses are also good, assuming they are credible (particularly one that is neutral).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">