• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is POD beneficiary responsible for paying parent's credit card bills?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California

My mother passed away recently. She lived in California (so do I), but moved to Wisconsin a week before her death. I was the POD beneficiary on her checking and savings accounts. Her only possessions besides the bank accounts were a small amount (studio apt.) of old furniture and clothing, not worth very much. I split the money with my sister, and told her she could do whatever she wanted with the furniture and clothing. We don't have to go thru probate, I believe. My mother didn't have a will, and her furniture is on a moving van to Wisconsin.

Since I am the POD beneficiary, does that mean I have to pay my mother's debts? What about old debts? I know of only two credit cards with moderate balances, but today I received a letter at my home addressed to my mother from a collection agency. I don't know why they addressed the letter to my address instead of my mother's California address, and I have never co-signed for my mother. I don't know how old this debt is or if it's even correct, since it's for a credit card that, as far as I know, my mother never had. I have been helping her with her bills for the last 5 years, including bringing in her mail, and never saw a bill for this credit card~~only the other two cards I already mentioned.

If I am responsible, is my sister, too, since I split the money with her? Or, is it all my responsibility?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Dandy Don

You are not responsible--it is the executor of the estate who is responsible. Since there aren't enough assets in this estate to pay off debts, the estate is essentially bankrupt. You can inform any creditors that the estate is bankrupt and therefore can not expect to be paid on this, and they will eventually write it off after a year or so. If they try to put negative statements about this on your credit report you need to contact the credit reporting agencies to have the items removed.

Thank you very much for your response. If I understand you correctly, the money I received as POD beneficiary ($88,000) is excluded from my mother's estate? Only the small amount of furniture is considered a part of her estate, thereby making her estate bankrupt?

Thanks again.

Thank you very much for your answer. It comes as a great relief to my sister and me, since we have incurred considerable credit card debt of our own to care for our father over the past nine years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">