• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jet Ski Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

babed02

What is the name of your state? Ca

A couple of friends and I went jet skiing 2 weeks ago. We rented 4 Jet skis. My cousin charged all 4 rentals to his card as well as a $1000 deposit just in case something was to happen. And ofcourse something did. The jet ski I was on was malfunctioning. As I would begin to increase speed, the jet ski would turn off. It did that twice. The 2nd time it turned off I attempted to start if 3 times. The first 2 times it would not start. My cousin had his jet ski about 15 feet in front of me telling me how to get it to start. On the 3rd attempt to start it, it turned on and rammed into my cousin in front of me. We called the lady over and told her it was malfunctioning but not that I had hit it. But the was an obvious hit on my jet ski. It had a large hole in the front. She called the police and had a report done. I told the police everything BESIDES the fact that the 3rd time, it turned on and hit the jet ski in front of me. The next day I called the police station and let them know I did in fact hit it. On the same phone call, the officer told me that the jet ski was hit before in the same exact spot, which is probably why the hole was so big. The business charged my cousins card $3000 in $1000 incriments. They charged $1000 twice in one day, and then another $1000 2 days later.
About 3 days after the accident I began feeling lower back pains. I have an appointment set for friday to see if its anything, or if its just a pulled muscle.
Does she have a right to charge my cousins card like that?
Also, I've called her and she is not willing to give me the estimates of any damage, nor her insurance information on any of the vehicles. She wont even give me the contract we signed when we first got onto the jet skis.(which i dont know what we signed :mad: )
MY QUESTIONS?
Does she have a right to charge the card without my cousin being present? or even authorizing the charge?
Is she liable for my medical expenses?
Does she have to have insurance on her vehicles?
Do I have a right to get a copy of the contract, estimate($3000), and insurance information?

Sorry abou the caps, I didn't know it was a big deal. :confused:
I would appreciate any feeback or advice.

Thanks....AbE

Last edited:

racer72

babed02 said:
What is the name of your state? Ca

MY QUESTIONS?
DOES SHE HAVE A RIGHT TO CHARGE THE CARD WITH MY COUSIN BEING PRESENT?
IS SHE LIABLE FOR MY MEDICAL EXPENSES?
DOES SHE HAVE TO HAVE INSURANCE ON HER VEHICLES?
DO I HAVE A RIGHT TO THE CONTRACT, ESTIMATE, AND INSURANCE INFO?

I would appreciate any feeback or advice.

Thanks....AbE
Turn off your caps key if you want a reply.

racer72

Does she have a right to charge the card without my cousin being present? or even authorizing the charge?
Without reading the original rental agreement, that question cannot be answered. I rented a jet ski a few years ago and the rental agreement I signed did allow for addition charges if damaged is caused by negligence.

Is she liable for my medical expenses?
Again, this would be in the rental agreement. And again, you will have to prove the rental outfit was negligent. From your description that will be very hard to prove. And the only way you could possibly prove it will be in a court of law.

Does she have to have insurance on her vehicles?
Most likely.

Do I have a right to get a copy of the contract, estimate($3000), and insurance information?
Probably not. Your cousin might though. I would suggest that he consults with a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">