• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To: cbg

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Justice?

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?WhQuote:
Originally Posted by cbg
If what was said is a LIE as opposed to a differing opinion, there is recourse.

"Justice? was fired for stealing" when you quit is a lie and you can take legal action if the statement is broadcast to others and you suffer damages as a result.

"Justice? was a poor manager. I was unhappy with her performance" is a differing opinion. Even if you disagree and can provide umpty-dozen other people who agree that your performance was excellent, if the person who spoke WAS unhappy with your performance, that does not give you legal recourse even if you do not get a job because of it.

Unless you were fired BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin and so on, or BECAUSE you applied for or utilized a benefit protected under the law, firing you was not illegal.

Nothing in the law requires a past employer to say that they would rehire you. Please read my response to to you on this subject in another thread.

What is the name of your state? FL

RE cbg: "If what was said is a LIE as opposed to a differing opinion, there is recourse."

What is the recourse, and how do I go about getting it?

RE cbg: "....you can take legal action if the statement is broadcast to others and you suffer damages as a result."

What kind of legal action?
Broadcast to whom?
What constitutes damages?
Thanks
at is the name of your state?

Beth3

cbg doesn't appear to be around today so I'll respond.

The recourse/legal action cbg is referring to pursuing a civil suit for slander. "Damages" can constitute a variety of different things but for purposes of your situation, it would be an inability to obtain new employment because of statements the employer made about you.

rmet4nzkx

:eek: and all I did was ask, what was his question. He never did do that or respond to a question. :rolleyes:
Avoidance does seem to suggest guilt!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">