• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP I don't have the money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

WHADOiDU

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OH

I just got paperwork that I have to go to small claims court for $3000.00 that I recievied as for some work I was doing for my girlfreind's grandmother. I got a slow start and the project wasn't getting completed fast enough for her so she said she got someone else to do it and she wanted her money back. I have receipts for some of the money but not all of it. Being who the claim is from I wanted to settle peacefully but I see now that is not an option. I never signed a contract nor was there ever any agreement does that hold up at all and is filling bankruptcy an option to cancel out the debt.Funds are a little tight and there is no way i can pay it back,other bills,child support,etc. Thanks any info is a help. :)

HomeGuru

WHADOiDU said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OH

I just got paperwork that I have to go to small claims court for $3000.00 that I recievied as for some work I was doing for my girlfreind's grandmother. I got a slow start and the project wasn't getting completed fast enough for her so she said she got someone else to do it and she wanted her money back. I have receipts for some of the money but not all of it. Being who the claim is from I wanted to settle peacefully but I see now that is not an option. I never signed a contract nor was there ever any agreement does that hold up at all and is filling bankruptcy an option to cancel out the debt.Funds are a little tight and there is no way i can pay it back,other bills,child support,etc. Thanks any info is a help. :)

**A: then go to court with your evidence and witnesses and negotiate a settlement. If you lose, take the judgement and work out a payment schedule.

W

WHADOiDU

So even though there was no contract i'm entitled to pay...or can i file bankruptcy?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Sure, you can file BK if you want. We just don't know IF it's right for you because we don't know your financial situation; i.e., Do you own a home with equity? Cars? Coin collections? What's your total debt load? Etcetera.

So, make an appointment with a BK attorney to see if that route is right for you and your situation.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">