• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aislynn

What is the name of your state? RI

I just recently moved out of Pawtucket, RI. My landlord did a walk-through of the apartment, he found it presentable, and gave me my security deposit back( shich was in his own personal account). That same day he called me and told me he received a summons to court due to both a television set and a computer monitor having been left out for trash a few weeks earlier. My landlord had never told me certain items could not be left for trash unless paid for before hand. In fact, he never told what day trash was collected, the girl upstairs had to tell me. So both the monitor and T.V. were labeled as “prohibited” by the trash people on trash day. My landlord called me that morning to let me know about the stickers and that he had moved the sets to the backyard for me to remove when I got home from work that night. And the next I was able to get rid of both sets in Massachusetts via a person at work. So... Am I liable for this summons to court even though the sets were immediately removed once stickered? And am I liable despite the fact that I had no prior knowledge of such restrictions? Was he obligated to tell me such things? Or should I have known? I was always a good tenant, and I was never late for rent. And I did remove these sets from the yard when they got stickered. But if I don't show up for the summons, could my landlord potentially take me to small claims court if he is fined?

My landlord also did a few shady things while I lived in the apartment. I told him a few months ago I was leaving when my lease was up. He told me that he would start having people look at the apartment a month before my lease was up. Well, one day I came home early from work. My landlord was in my driveway. He seemed surprised I was home and said he didn’t think I got home until 6 or 7 at night. I asked why he was there; he said he was having two girls look at my apartment. So he was planning on having people look at my apartment while I wasn’t there. And on a Sunday he gave me two hours notice that people were going to look at my apartment. Again, I wasn’t even there. He called me on my cell to tell me. I said my place didn’t look as presentable as I thought it should at the moment. And I didn’t have a chance to go back and clean it up because I was over an hour a way from the apartment. So, feeling quite frustrated, I looked up RI laws for landlords and tenants, he was supposed to give me two days notice when people were coming to look at my apartment. If he takes me to court for the whole prohibited trash incident, could I use this to fight back?

HomeGuru

Aislynn said:
What is the name of your state? RI

I just recently moved out of Pawtucket, RI. My landlord did a walk-through of the apartment, he found it presentable, and gave me my security deposit back( shich was in his own personal account). That same day he called me and told me he received a summons to court due to both a television set and a computer monitor having been left out for trash a few weeks earlier. My landlord had never told me certain items could not be left for trash unless paid for before hand. In fact, he never told what day trash was collected, the girl upstairs had to tell me. So both the monitor and T.V. were labeled as “prohibited” by the trash people on trash day. My landlord called me that morning to let me know about the stickers and that he had moved the sets to the backyard for me to remove when I got home from work that night. And the next I was able to get rid of both sets in Massachusetts via a person at work. So... Am I liable for this summons to court even though the sets were immediately removed once stickered? And am I liable despite the fact that I had no prior knowledge of such restrictions? Was he obligated to tell me such things? Or should I have known? I was always a good tenant, and I was never late for rent. And I did remove these sets from the yard when they got stickered. But if I don't show up for the summons, could my landlord potentially take me to small claims court if he is fined?

**A: yes. And it was your duty to check with the trash people as to what items could be left as normal trash and not bulky items.

My landlord also did a few shady things while I lived in the apartment. I told him a few months ago I was leaving when my lease was up. He told me that he would start having people look at the apartment a month before my lease was up. Well, one day I came home early from work. My landlord was in my driveway. He seemed surprised I was home and said he didn’t think I got home until 6 or 7 at night. I asked why he was there; he said he was having two girls look at my apartment. So he was planning on having people look at my apartment while I wasn’t there. And on a Sunday he gave me two hours notice that people were going to look at my apartment. Again, I wasn’t even there. He called me on my cell to tell me. I said my place didn’t look as presentable as I thought it should at the moment. And I didn’t have a chance to go back and clean it up because I was over an hour a way from the apartment. So, feeling quite frustrated, I looked up RI laws for landlords and tenants, he was supposed to give me two days notice when people were coming to look at my apartment. If he takes me to court for the whole prohibited trash incident, could I use this to fight back?
**A: not relevent to the trash incident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">