• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 minors in car accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zack1233

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maryland

3 minors are involved in a minor auto accident: Roy, Timmy and Moe

Timmy and Moe are in Timmy's car, Moe is driving. They were stopped at a traffic signal. The turning lane gets the green arrow and that lane begins to move. Moe's lane still has a red light, but when the other lane begins to move, he rear-ends Roy's car in front of him. Some dammage to Roy's car, and none to Timmy's car. No body was hurt.

All three get out and exchange names and phone numbers. Roy says he doesn't have a driver's license and says to tell the insurance company that his girlfriend was driving. Moe says he doesn't want to report it to the insurance company, but he will pay for the dammage himself.

3 weeks later, Roy gets an estimate of $2,000 to fix his car. Timmy and Moe now say they won't pay because Roy didn't have a license.

Who is legally responsible and what is the fair thing to do?

racer72

Yes Moe and Timmy are liable for the damages. The lack of a driver's license cannot be used as a way to absolve liability. Moe and Timmy need to pay for the damages, that is the fair and legal thing to do.

rmet4nzkx

Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive ~ " Sir Walter Scott
At first I thought it was a word problem for a math test. LOL!

I could ask the questions and discuss at length the various options.
You already know all the answers.
Moe is responsible, he at least caused the accident and said he would pay.
If he doesn't pay, that will open up a can of worms, right?
You know why.
Enough said?

Z

zack1233

thanks for the advice - I'll pass it on to Moe and Timmy.

(sorry for the math test - must be the engineer in me)

rmet4nzkx

zack1233 said:
thanks for the advice - I'll pass it on to Moe and Timmy.

(sorry for the math test - must be the engineer in me)
You are ther bus driver. You drive to your first stop and pick up 3 passengers, you drive to the next stop, pick up 4 more passengers and one gets off. You drive to the next stop, 5 board and 4 get off, you drive to the next stop, 2 board, 1 gets off. You drive to the next stop, 3 board, 5 get off, you drive to the next stop, 6 board, 4 get off. Who is the bus driver? ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">