• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can mom decide?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

duckyme

What is the name of your state?NJ

Do I have to let my ex's parents (he passed away) see the children? There's alot to this story, but I'm just wondering if I stop visitation, can they take it to court or anything?

Thank you.

D

duckyme

what about limiting visitation. Do I have a say in how often, how long, and where?
It seems crazy that I dont get to decide who spends time with my children.... :mad:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If they take it to court and a judge orders visitation, you will have no say beyond what s/he permits. It would be up to you to prove to the judge why they should not have visitation.

*Normally*, it would be up to the parents. But when one of those parents dies, courts will consider a petition from those grandparents for visitation.

LdiJ

stealth2 said:
If they take it to court and a judge orders visitation, you will have no say beyond what s/he permits. It would be up to you to prove to the judge why they should not have visitation.

*Normally*, it would be up to the parents. But when one of those parents dies, courts will consider a petition from those grandparents for visitation.
I have to disagree slightly with that. Since the Troxel ruling the burden of proof is not on the parents, its on the grandparents. Although some judges still incorrectly put the burden of proof on the parents, there has been enough case law since then, nationwide, that most judges are correctly putting the burden of proof on the grandparents.

On the average the "norm" these days when a grandparent wins, is one visit per month. Sometimes as little as a few hours, other times as much as a full weekend. Anything more than that is very rare since Troxel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">