• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment Offer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RMMRIVA

What is the name of your state?
VA

I received an offer that was contigent on passing a background check with an aproximated start date of 8/30. I had been in discussions with this company for almost 2 months now and we had covered everything from relocation/commute time to choosing a doctor for my new medical plan. In any case since I signed the letter and returned promptly. In the meantime, I had turned down other interviews and rejected an offer from another company. Today (1 week after sending the offer back), I find out that the client ( I was going in as a perm to hire) was uncomfortable with my commute time and since I was not relocating my family they felt that in the long run, I would leave and/or attendance would become problematic. Is there any legal remedy to this. Appeciate any help you can provide. Thank you

I

IDEAL

We should start our own company! My case is similar - check out my thread!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Although similar to Ideal's case, your case is not exactly the same. Ideal has no case at all. You MAY have a case of detrimental reliance, depending on the EXACT circumstances and how (and if) VA defines that concept.

See a local attorney.

R

RMMRIVA

Not a good week for job seekers ?

You sure you don't live in VA ? :) This just really.....! The entire time, literally, I was the guy they wanted. Passed all their technical tests, interviewed with 8 different people and ( a few times I had to talk to the same people over and over again). Two weeks ago, because they were dragging their feet, I decided enough was enough and told them that I was loosing interest in this position fast. I was called by their program manager (she oversees the datacenter as a whole) and was asked to reconsider my feelings and that they really wanted me to come aboard and that they were very excited about me starting there. I had the job ! It was mine ! I could taste it !.....

I

IDEAL

Beth3 said:
RM, the difference here is that you actually received a job offer while Ideal did not.
Obviously, that is true. No one has a sense of humor here!

R

RMMRIVA

cbg said:
Although similar to Ideal's case, your case is not exactly the same. Ideal has no case at all. You MAY have a case of detrimental reliance, depending on the EXACT circumstances and how (and if) VA defines that concept.

See a local attorney.
Thank you for your advice and input.

R

RMMRIVA

Beth3 said:
RM, the difference here is that you actually received a job offer while Ideal did not.
Thank you Beth3. Appreciate it.

R

RMMRIVA

Not in VA.

Just found out that VA does not have a law protecing this kind of issue. They also dont' see Offers as employment contracts and since VA is a work at will state or something like that, there is no recourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">