• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JP_in_Colorado

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I recently got married, and my husband and I decided to have my car added to the same insurance company as his. I had full coverage on my car (i.e., liability, comp/collision, uninsured/underinsured motorist, and a few other things), so I wanted comparable coverage under the new policy for my car. The insurance company is telling me that I don't need UM/UIM coverage on the policy for my car because it is part of the "household" policy for the both of us (i.e., the coverage is not specific to one car but all persons of the household since it is bodily injury coverage versus property coverage). I understand what UM/UIM insurance covers, but what about passengers in MY car that are not part of my household? I just received temporary insurance identification cards that do not show UM/UIM coverage on it. My husband's card does. It is my understanding that the Colorado law REQUIRES that a policyholder reject the UM/UIM coverage for their car's policy. That insurance company cannot decide for themselves to not put the coverage on the car. I feel like the agent doesn't know her insurance law and is potentially putting me at risk for liability. There was a proposed regulation that allowed for "household" coverage of UM/UIM, but that proposed regulation never was put into law. What do you know about the UM/UIM coverage laws? Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">