• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be sued for using a business' name on ebay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

ubiqlife

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Philadelphia , Pa

I have been selling items online and on ebay for over a year now , however I received an e-mail from a business with the same name as me , saying that I had to change my e-mail address and ebay name because they have their name trademarked and If I don't comply they will sue me. Can they do this ?
I am not affiliating myself with them when I'm on ebay in anyway and do they have the right to tell me to change my own e-mail address that I've had for over a year now ? :mad:
Thanks For Helping . :)

Maybe..

Well, in our courts, anybody can sue anybody for anything...best justice money can buy. But...if what you're saying is you have an email address of something like "[email protected]" then its an issue for Internic to decide as to whether or not you should have been granted that domain name in the first place...maybe the other company would like to buy it.

If instead, what you've got is something like "[email protected]", you may have a different problem.

In either case, you might try contacting them and offering to include the words "NOT AFFILIATED WITH..." in big bold letters in all your advertising, they might let you continue.

HomeGuru

ubiqlife said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Philadelphia , Pa

I have been selling items online and on ebay for over a year now , however I received an e-mail from a business with the same name as me , saying that I had to change my e-mail address and ebay name because they have their name trademarked and If I don't comply they will sue me. Can they do this ?
I am not affiliating myself with them when I'm on ebay in anyway and do they have the right to tell me to change my own e-mail address that I've had for over a year now ? :mad:
Thanks For Helping . :)

**A: verify that the name is really trademarked. Then you have your answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">