• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

so what do i do now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2busy2fuss

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I bought a vehicle on Ebay (I have read enough on here to hear the "Here we go again" thing)...

Okay, so the vehicle was not as described...I am willing to eat that one.

All I want is a lousy title. They guy advertised it with a clear title. When I paid him, he told me he'd bring me the title the following weekend (he is from Maryland). Well, he never showed up, and has since ignored every email I have sent him (after leading me along throughout the whole feedback period). I got Squaretrade involved, and apparently, he gave them the same treatment (ignored their efforts to contact him). It has been a YEAR since I bought this vehicle, and I am in limbo because I have no title.
So... how do I go about getting a title? A representative of the MD DMV told me I would either have to take him to court, get a judge to grant me a writ of mandamus for the title, or find out who the legal owner of the vehicle is and get them to transfer the title to me (the title is not in his name). The DMV lady told me that he broke the law by selling me the vehicle for which the title is not in his name. I was told that the only way to obtain the info on the "legal owner" was though law enforcement, a judge, a lawyer, or my insurance agent. I called my insurance company and the guy (to his credit) got right on it. He called me today and said that the MD DMV told him that they cannot disclose that data without a subpoena. So what do I do now? I have all the emails documenting this guy's line of "Barbra Streisand", and all the emails that I sent him which went unanswered. What I would really like is my money back, but I will settle for a valid title. Can this be done without running back and forth to MD (though it's not a long drive, I work full-time and am a full-time student)?

Thanks in advance. BTW, the vehicle is a 1965 Internation Harvester Pickup

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">