• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child breaks neighbors car window

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MGASSOCIATES

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

What is my responsiblity if:

My son and two of his friends are playing in my yard with there sling shots and are joined by two other neighborhood kids.

My son and his two friends go into the swimming pool and ask the other two neighborhood children to not play with the sling shots becasue they do not know how to use them.

while the kids are in the pool one of the other kids (we will call him Bill) Bill picks up the sling shot and the other child from the neighbor hood follows him (we will call him Jack) so bill and jack go into the front yard and bill shoots a small rock (accidentelly into another neighbors car window). Both bill and jack run back to the 3 boys in the pool and jack says "bill just broke a window" and Bill says"it was an accident". These boys are all between the ages of 8-10.

Well now the short story.

Bills father called me and asked me if I wanted to pay for 1/2 the car window. My thought is: I asked him what he thought my liablity was because my son was in the pool and was not the person who shot the sling shot. Was it some how my responsiblity that he picked up the sling shot and went into the front yard with it after he was asked not to??

Do i have any liablity legally??? Morally???

Happy Trails

MGASSOCIATES said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

What is my responsiblity if:

My son and two of his friends are playing in my yard with there sling shots and are joined by two other neighborhood kids.

My son and his two friends go into the swimming pool and ask the other two neighborhood children to not play with the sling shots becasue they do not know how to use them.

while the kids are in the pool one of the other kids (we will call him Bill) Bill picks up the sling shot and the other child from the neighbor hood follows him (we will call him Jack) so bill and jack go into the front yard and bill shoots a small rock (accidentelly into another neighbors car window). Both bill and jack run back to the 3 boys in the pool and jack says "bill just broke a window" and Bill says"it was an accident". These boys are all between the ages of 8-10.

Well now the short story.

Bills father called me and asked me if I wanted to pay for 1/2 the car window. My thought is: I asked him what he thought my liablity was because my son was in the pool and was not the person who shot the sling shot. Was it some how my responsiblity that he picked up the sling shot and went into the front yard with it after he was asked not to??

Do i have any liablity legally??? Morally???
**I'm not a lawyer, but on the moral question, I wouldn't feel responsible for the other kids actions. However if it happened when they were in your supervision I would feel differently.

stephenk

how much are you talking about? get "Jack's" parents to contribute and it shouldnt be that much.

how much does it cost to keep peace in the neighborhood?

Happy Trails

stephenk said:
how much are you talking about? get "Jack's" parents to contribute and it shouldnt be that much.

how much does it cost to keep peace in the neighborhood?
**Good idea. It is always wise to keep the peace. Sometimes it is unavoidable but you, the poster, have to make that determination.

Also another thing if you were supervising the kids, you could be on the hook for the whole thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">