• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Manda21

Uninsured and Scared!

What is the name of your state? Missouri/Illinois

I live in Missouri but I was recently involved in an accident in Illinois that was completely my fault. I rear ended someone due to "not paying attention." They had insurance, but I did not. My car was impounded and I do not plan on getting it out. I have a court date on Sept. 16 and have no clue what to expect. Am I going to jail? Is there anything I can do to help myself? I received tickets for having no insurance and failure to reduce speed. The only tickets I've ever had! However, I am not so much worried about those, I am worried about what she can do to me. Am I going to lose my license? If so, for approx. how long? And is it true that I may never be able to own my own vehicle again? The guy at the impound lot told me that until the ladies car is paid for, they can put a lein against any car I own in the future. I dont have the money to pay off her damages in a week! Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

racer72

Am I going to lose my license?
You can bet on that.

If so, for approx. how long?
Hard to say, but at a minimum, till you pay for the damage you caused and provide your state with an SR-22 filing showing proof of insurance.

And is it true that I may never be able to own my own vehicle again?
Not true. Whether you can legally license and drive the vehicle is a different story though.

The guy at the impound lot told me that until the ladies car is paid for, they can put a lein against any car I own in the future.
Who is "they"? And the only way to place a lien on a vehicle is to obtain a judgment. And in your situation it will be twice the work. You would have to be sued in Illinois for the accident then the judgment, once recieved, will have to be domesticated in Missouri. Depending on how busy the courts are, this could take a while.

I dont have the money to pay off her damages in a week!
Looks like they will have to wait then. In the mean time, I would suggest a consultation with a local attorney. Your state or county bar association should have a referral service.

Thank you.
Your welcome.

M

Manda21

I dont understand. I can own a car in the future, I just cant license or drive it?

If you can't get a license then you can't get insurance. If you don't have a license and you don't have insurance, you shouldn't drive a car. You can own the car all you want, you just shouldn't drive it.

M

Manda21

Ok... I get it now. But as long as I get my license back and have insurance, I'll be ok right? They wont take my license forever will they? I'm sorry for all the questions. I'm 21 and never been in any trouble before. Thank you for your time though.

M

Manda21

Also, along with this, when I had the accident, my car wound up getting impounded by the city of Belleville because I had no money to tow it. I do not have the money to get it out and for what they're charging, it isnt even worth it. I told them they could keep the car, I just wanted my stuff out of it. I had alot of sentimental stuff along with about $1,000 worth of C.D.'s. The impound lot then preceeded to tell me that I would have to turn over the title to them, obviously, and I had no problem with that. But that I would also have to pay them $100. Can they do that? All I want is my stuff!

M

Manda21

It's not that I couldnt afford the insurance on my car. My ex stopped making both of our payments and did not tell me until it was too late! And besides, all of the C.D.'s were not mine!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">