• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for "double parking" while parked at broken meter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

randall_flagg

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York City, NY particularly Steinway Street in Astoria.

Earlier this morning, my girlfriend parked my car at a broken meter for no more than 15 minutes. Upon returning to the car, she had received a ticket for "double parking", which she obviously wasn't doing. She's taken numerous pictures of the car clearly showing that she wasn't double-parked and a picture of the meter in question. She also spoke to a fruit stand vendor who said the meter agents on Steinway are somewhat notorious for ticketing in any way possible.

I believe this should be a fairly easy ticket to dismiss, no? I haven't yet seen the ticket to see if any important info is missing, but based on the facts I've been told, it seems there is no case. Parking at a broken meter isn't illegal if no more than 60 minutes, and besides that wasn't the ticketed infraction.. and double parking is, well, double parking which she wasn't doing. I guess I'm just hoping for reassurance here - I've never fought a parking ticket before, but I'm told from coworkers this ticket should definitely be dismissed. Opinions?

HomeGuru

randall_flagg said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York City, NY particularly Steinway Street in Astoria.

Earlier this morning, my girlfriend parked my car at a broken meter for no more than 15 minutes. Upon returning to the car, she had received a ticket for "double parking", which she obviously wasn't doing. She's taken numerous pictures of the car clearly showing that she wasn't double-parked and a picture of the meter in question. She also spoke to a fruit stand vendor who said the meter agents on Steinway are somewhat notorious for ticketing in any way possible.

I believe this should be a fairly easy ticket to dismiss, no? I haven't yet seen the ticket to see if any important info is missing, but based on the facts I've been told, it seems there is no case. Parking at a broken meter isn't illegal if no more than 60 minutes, and besides that wasn't the ticketed infraction.. and double parking is, well, double parking which she wasn't doing. I guess I'm just hoping for reassurance here - I've never fought a parking ticket before, but I'm told from coworkers this ticket should definitely be dismissed. Opinions?
**A: I agree with you provided you present the right and convincing evidence in court.

R

randall_flagg

Since I have photographic evidence, this can be remedied via mail and/or online, no? (I'm still reading through the NYC's website)

You Are Guilty

Theoretically yes, but you'll have a much better chance if you go down in person. There is (was?) a DMV station just off Hillside in Jamaica, otherwise, the other ones I know are all in the city.

Just be sure it really does cite you for "double parking" before you start arguing :)

As far as photos go, the DMV is rather picky about that. Rather than retype what's already been posted, read their rules here and make sure your pictures comply.

BTW: just because you're innocent doesn't mean you'll get it dismissed. The DMV just wants your money, they don't care about guilt. You may end up with just a fine reduction or even nothing. The only way to guarantee you end up with it dismissed if it's filled out incorrectly. If it's the new computer generated tickets, they rarely screw those up. If its the old handwritten with orange envelope tickets, go here and see if any apply to yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">