• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure why I was fired...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken

What is the name of your state? IL

On July 2nd, I was fired from my job. I was a mechanic apprentice at a large dealership. Back in November, at the start of my divorce, I was told I needed to step it up a little bit. Understandably, I was moving a little slower and less enthusiastic than usual. So I picked it up, and ever since, I had been told what a good job I was doing... both by the lead tech I was working with, and by the service manager. In May, I got a $2.50/hr. raise. The workload slowed down a little bit, and since I was an "hourly employee", the Journeyman I was working under booked a lot of the time for the jobs that I did so that he would still be making money (since I would be paid whether I was working or not.) This concerned me because I didn't want to look like I wasn't working since I didn't show very many hours booked. I mentioned it to the lead tech, and he said not to worry about it and he would talk with the service manager. I spoke with the service manager as well, and was told that he understood the situation... again, don't worry. A few weeks later, Friday afternoon at about 4:00pm, I was told that I was being let go because I was unproductive and unmotivated.

I'll be the first to admit that being a mechanic was not what I wanted to do forever, but I was doing a good job at it. I was on time, I never refused work, was never written up or sent home (many other employees there have been), and I helped anyone who needed it. I suppose everyone who gets fired feels like they got the shaft, but I honestly can't figure out why I did. Is there any action I can take, or should I just move on? I don't necessarily want the job back, but I don't know why they would keep telling me what a good job I'm doing and then fire me. It wasn't like I didn't get along with everyone. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You need to move on.

Nothing in your post suggests that there were any laws broken or that you have any legal recourse. In an at will state (which means every state except Montana, and even includes Montana in some instances) you can quit at any time and for any reason, and you can be fired for any reason that does not specifically violate the law. Nothing in your post suggests that laws were violated.

C

Consentlaw

That is also inaccurate! Where do you people go to Law School!!!!

Jesus Christ! AT-Will doesn't matter. The At-Will doctrine is not good advice, nor is it usually that great of an Affirmative Defense either, if CBG is a lawyer, he should inquire more as to what any lawyer would ask, who, what, why, where, when and how. If you work at Taco Bell, sure they can fire you, but you have a legal right to file with the EEOC, the DFEH claims, etc. The employer must show something more that motivation as the cause of termination, it could readily be the defense of the plaintiff that his motivation was characterized by less than perfect working conditions, or an unfair boss. Jesus Dont listen to these balbbering idiots who know nothing about the law. Look contact you local Labor Commission, they will tell you whether or not you have a case. Its free too! If they are breaking laws such as hours, wages, etc. CBG get your head out of your arse, its abusive misdirection to bring into play at-will, it has no bearing. Ever heard of an Implied Contract. The senior Employee doctrine, Good Cause? Read the Fair Labor Standards Act before you answer again. For that matter read Leighton V Old Hiedelberg it gives a good answer to your at will bologna.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I might have known I was issuing a challenge.

ConsentLaw, you proved on the MedMal board that you don't know what the hell you're talking about, and you're doing the same thing here.

BTW, the Fair Labor Standards Act deals exclusively with wage payment issues. It does not address firings or termination issues. Maybe YOU should read it.

Last edited:
C

Consentlaw

What the hell!

Last edited:
C

Consentlaw

What the hell!

Thats not what I said! You were talking about At-Will employment as a defense of the employer, I disagreed that there are also limited exceptions to the At-Will doctrine and that you should inquire more before you just broadly state your At-Will, no case.
What about civil rights cases who are at-will. The courts have disagreed with you and so do i. I said read the FLSA because maybe it would hint that there are federal requirements too by the employer. I guess it went over your head.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Read my post carefully. I did not say there was no case. I said BASED ON THE INFORMATION IN THE POST there was no case and explained why. If the poster has additional information that they want to include as a followup, they are free to do so and I will re-evaluate.

I agree there are exceptions to at-will. The poster has not included any information to indicate that any of these exceptions exist. If you want to hint at Federal exceptions, then you might want to refer to Title VII, which would be applicable, rather than the FLSA, which would not.

What's over whose head?

C

Consentlaw

once again

FLSA and Title VII are still both covered under CFR, and the Federal rules of Evidence. State lawes also makes remedies against At-Will in the context of Employee manuals etc as implied contracts.
I am stating that before stating there is no case ask questions! Thats what I hate most about the so called lawyers on here, they obviously haven't studied too much in to the psychology of law. Ask them questions! If they ommmitted such information because they didn't understand or know about the details of their termination then you should ask them why and give them a series of questions before dismissing the case. Like I said before a dog knows whether you stumbled over it or kicked it. You should inquire a little more before you giver worthless advice that is not predicated on the law, but predicated on your search engine. There is discovery of issues that lawyers dont realize until very late into a trial, but that discovery comes from a series of interrogatories.

C

Consentlaw

By The Way I Hate Typing!!!

So dont come back with stupidity claims for me not typin correctly....

HomeGuru

Consentlaw said:
FLSA and Title VII are still both covered under CFR, and the Federal rules of Evidence. State lawes also makes remedies against At-Will in the context of Employee manuals etc as implied contracts.
I am stating that before stating there is no case ask questions! Thats what I hate most about the so called lawyers on here, they obviously haven't studied too much in to the psychology of law. Ask them questions! If they ommmitted such information because they didn't understand or know about the details of their termination then you should ask them why and give them a series of questions before dismissing the case. Like I said before a dog knows whether you stumbled over it or kicked it. You should inquire a little more before you giver worthless advice that is not predicated on the law, but predicated on your search engine. There is discovery of issues that lawyers dont realize until very late into a trial, but that discovery comes from a series of interrogatories.

**A: consentflaw, I am getting really tired of your idiotic attitude. You are an attorney wannabe. I am not one bit fooled by you. Keep it up and cbg and Beth3 will have my consent to kick your butt off of this website.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I didn't say one word about your typing.

If you insist on mischaracterizing my posts I can't stop you. Hopefully the poster reads better than you do.

C

Consentlaw

Thats fine

If you edit my posts I would love to File a Federal Lawsuit for Infringement of Speech predicated on the infactual information of this website. Since the disclaimer readily predicates that the website here doesnt warrant any information as accurate or that they can not be liable, if they delete my account for editing your fake posts and correcting you, they have just tied themselves with third party liability, respondeat superior, vicarious liability what ever the hell you want to call it. I sincerely think this website is a sham! A series of Fake legal Wanna Be's who are giving people some very bad information. Talk about Legal MalPractice!!!! Jesus if you guys were lawyers you would be held to much higher standards, but since you are not, you are free to give what ever phoney information you would like and I will be free to disagree with you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">