• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car broken into at work...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chewie8008

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Ok, i'll try to be as brief as possible.

Last night someone broke into my car while I was at work. I work at Dillards in the mall. They broke in and stole over $1000 worth of stuff.

I have insurance but have to pay a $500 deduc. and i'm thinking the insurance company isn't going to cover half of the stuff because it was car audio.

Is there any way the mall can be held partially responsible? They have no outside cameras whatsover. They have security guards that patrol the area but don't even start patrol until after 6pm. Work is a place I must be, and obviously my car isn't safe there. The doors were locked, the window was pryed down.

They stole a huge box(probably 50 lbs) w/ two subs in it. I just don't see it possible that they got out of that high traffic parking lot w/ two amps(very long amps), this large box(takes at least two ppl to carry it out) and a cd player w/o anyone noticing...

I'd appreciate any help guys. I just don't know much about the law and figured i'd ask somewhere like here first before talking to a lawyer or what not. I have been told by others that may or may not know the law that it could be possible the mall be held responsible...
I would rather not get specifically Dillards involved, since I work there. Plus whenever you're employeed I know you sign papers stating that you won't do this or that, like sue them maybe... I'm not sure, it's the stuff I don't read, I just sign, lol. :(

cmorris

Why wouldn't your insurance pay for car audio? Do you have your paperwork from the insurance company stating that? Did you file a police report?

I seriously doubt the mall can be held responsible. What if someone broke into your car at your house? Or on a Main St? Would you sue the city? The only possible way the mall may be responsible is if a security guard watched someone break in and did nothing. You would have to prove negligence. And I doubt that will happen. Not having cameras is not negligence. Eat your deductible.

C

chewie8008

Yes, I filed a police report. From what I understand most insurance companies are like that, they don't cover car audio. The only thing a normal policy covers is things installed in factory locations. The cd player and door speakers. But subs in a trunk, or amps, they do not. You can get a seperate coverage for that, but they don't come right out and explain that. It states in the policy about covering car audio, but doesn't state very clearly that it is a seperate deal.

And I did 'eat my deductible'. Like I said, I don't know much about law, so I had no idea if they were responsible at all. Just figured I could check. It just sucks that it's a place I have to be and there is no security there, cameras whatever. Other than the apparently worthless security guards. Even with a car alarm, that still doesn't stop the 1st step, breaking of the windshield. Neither would cameras, but then again, i'd feel much better if I could find out who did it and skip all the legal run around.

outonbail

These type of burglary's happen many times because folks drive around with their windows down and the stereo Cranked, with the bass BooBoomBoppin so loud that every criminal element within ten miles is given the opportunity to hear the quality your system and decide if it is worthy of becoming their system. If so, they can watch you skip to work and with very little effort, they can determine when your shift is over and you skip back to your car. They now kinow the time frame available to procure your system for themselves, or for their crack connect.

So, being a creature of habbit, you set yourself up as an easy target. I at one time had a very similar experience with my first new vehicle and ear damaging audio system. My truck was broken into and the system taken twice, in the same parking lot and same stall, which I parked in at my place of employment. Needless to say I was pissed, in fact very very pissed. Well, here is how I finally succeeded in removing my vehicle from the easy target list.

I was a tig welder (heliarc) at a company who manufactured n aircraft parts. This enables me to weld very thin metals together. Specifically, this enabled me to weld double sided razor blades in rather strategic locations on the metal frame of my third very expensive stereo system. I reached under the dash and grabbed my stereo as if to pull it out and marked exactly where my hand made contact with the radio. Hence, strategic locations!

I could hardly wait for these stereo bandits to make a grab for my radio again. In fact, I started leaving the door unlocked, parking in poorly lit areas of the lot and placing cd's all over the seats. You know, to make it as enticing as I could for these thieves.

Well, I didn't have to wait very long for their third attempt at victimizing me to take place. I thought I'd never get all that blood out of my carpet. I was able to follow the blood trail to another parking stall, where this person obviously paused for a second to enter their vehicle and no doubt drive themselves to the nearest medical clinic for some sutures.

I looked for a delinquent with the bandaged hand for months, but never did find him. That third expensive stereo system is still playing in the truck to this day! I just make sure I wear heavy gloves if I need to do any under the dash grabbing! Something tells me that the person who last reached under my dash and removed a bloody gash. wears some heavy gloves now himself!

What I wouldn't give to have seen the expression on his face when he pulled a bloody limb out from under my dash rather than his third free sound system :eek:

OK now, lets go easy on blasting me for utilizing such a unique, "theft proof" stereo mounting system. Hell, it even collects a fresh DNA source for

Lynx 36

outonbail said:
These type of burglary's happen many times because folks drive around with their windows down and the stereo Cranked, with the bass BooBoomBoppin so loud that every criminal element within ten miles is given the opportunity to hear the quality your system and decide if it is worthy of becoming their system. If so, they can watch you skip to work and with very little effort, they can determine when your shift is over and you skip back to your car. They now kinow the time frame available to procure your system for themselves, or for their crack connect.

So, being a creature of habbit, you set yourself up as an easy target. I at one time had a very similar experience with my first new vehicle and ear damaging audio system. My truck was broken into and the system taken twice, in the same parking lot and same stall, which I parked in at my place of employment. Needless to say I was pissed, in fact very very pissed. Well, here is how I finally succeeded in removing my vehicle from the easy target list.

I was a tig welder (heliarc) at a company who manufactured n aircraft parts. This enables me to weld very thin metals together. Specifically, this enabled me to weld double sided razor blades in rather strategic locations on the metal frame of my third very expensive stereo system. I reached under the dash and grabbed my stereo as if to pull it out and marked exactly where my hand made contact with the radio. Hence, strategic locations!

I could hardly wait for these stereo bandits to make a grab for my radio again. In fact, I started leaving the door unlocked, parking in poorly lit areas of the lot and placing cd's all over the seats. You know, to make it as enticing as I could for these thieves.

Well, I didn't have to wait very long for their third attempt at victimizing me to take place. I thought I'd never get all that blood out of my carpet. I was able to follow the blood trail to another parking stall, where this person obviously paused for a second to enter their vehicle and no doubt drive themselves to the nearest medical clinic for some sutures.

I looked for a delinquent with the bandaged hand for months, but never did find him. That third expensive stereo system is still playing in the truck to this day! I just make sure I wear heavy gloves if I need to do any under the dash grabbing! Something tells me that the person who last reached under my dash and removed a bloody gash. wears some heavy gloves now himself!

What I wouldn't give to have seen the expression on his face when he pulled a bloody limb out from under my dash rather than his third free sound system :eek:

OK now, lets go easy on blasting me for utilizing such a unique, "theft proof" stereo mounting system. Hell, it even collects a fresh DNA source for
I personally think it is a wonderful idea. :D

Now f/ the car. Your comprehensive coverage will cover items bolted to your car. This would include audio. However, most policies only cover up to $1,000 in aftermarket equipment. If you have a lot of high end equipment it is a good idea to take extra insurance out on it. Check your policy to find out though.

Lastly, the mall would not be responsible f/ your car. Remember, we live in the land of the free. There isn't going to be a security camera everywhere to record the actions of everyone, nor is it required or wanted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">