• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost brother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bigsister1

What is the name of your state? I presently live in Virginia but my husband is in the military and we may be moving in the next month. We do not know yet. My brother is believed to be in Oklahoma.

My father and my step-mother had filed for divorce and were fighting for the custody of my brother. When he was 3, my father killed himself and my brother went to Florida with his mother. They later moved to Oklahoma to live with my father's sister. My step-mother started dating my cousin (the son of my aunt that they were living with) and became heavily involved in drugs. They owed their dealer a lot of money and went into hiding. They took my brother up to some mountains and left him there. A hunter found him and turned him over to CPS who gave my aunt temporary custody. Later my step-mother turned herself in to a drug rehab center and was awarded custody of my brother when she got out.

I was told that they left Oklahoma to live with her father in Ohio. While talking to one of my father's brothers, he slipped and told me that my brother had never left Oklahoma and is still in the care of my aunt. I have never got along with my father's family and they will not tell me anything about my brother. He is 11 years old now and I want full custody of my brother but I don't know how to do this. I don't know if I would need an Oklahoma attorney or one in my state (whichever that may be). I think that I should hire a PI to find out where he really is, Oklahoma or somewhere else but I don't have a lot of money. Can anyone help me with some advice?

LdiJ

bigsister1 said:
What is the name of your state? I presently live in Virginia but my husband is in the military and we may be moving in the next month. We do not know yet. My brother is believed to be in Oklahoma.

My father and my step-mother had filed for divorce and were fighting for the custody of my brother. When he was 3, my father killed himself and my brother went to Florida with his mother. They later moved to Oklahoma to live with my father's sister. My step-mother started dating my cousin (the son of my aunt that they were living with) and became heavily involved in drugs. They owed their dealer a lot of money and went into hiding. They took my brother up to some mountains and left him there. A hunter found him and turned him over to CPS who gave my aunt temporary custody. Later my step-mother turned herself in to a drug rehab center and was awarded custody of my brother when she got out.

I was told that they left Oklahoma to live with her father in Ohio. While talking to one of my father's brothers, he slipped and told me that my brother had never left Oklahoma and is still in the care of my aunt. I have never got along with my father's family and they will not tell me anything about my brother. He is 11 years old now and I want full custody of my brother but I don't know how to do this. I don't know if I would need an Oklahoma attorney or one in my state (whichever that may be). I think that I should hire a PI to find out where he really is, Oklahoma or somewhere else but I don't have a lot of money. Can anyone help me with some advice?
You really need to discuss this with an attorney. Since it appears that your brother has been in your aunt's care for quite a few years, and hasn't seen YOU in quite a few years, it may not be realistic that you would be able to get custody. Its even possible that he has been adopted by your aunt.

B

bigsister1

Is there a way that I can find out if he has been adopted by my aunt? My family won't tell me anything, but a public record that I could find on the internet or something? If he has been adopted, I won't be able to do anything will I? I am not worried about how long he has been in her care, I know that I can prove her unfit. Thank you so very much for your help. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">