• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stolen vehicle + full coverage, but insurance didn't pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

meysplace

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Hi,
About 6 years ago, I got a used car and paid full insurance coverage for it.

More than 4 years ago, the car was stolen. I submitted the police report and everything to the insurance company, and it seemed that everything was ok for all parties.

Today, the car company sent me a letter stating they will sue me very soon if I don't pay what I supposedly owe them?! :confused:

The insurance headquarters I just talked to said that they don't seemingly have any records about me, and that they won't look for anything until the car company contacts them...

What do I do? Do I pay a little to calm them down? But I had full coverage so why wasn't it paid? How can they contact me almost 5 years later? Who is accountable? What should I do? :confused:

Thanks for any advice you can contribute.

You Are Guilty

Without more information, my best guess is your insurance paid the market value of the stolen car, which was less than the amount you owed the bank. Did you have "gap insurance"? That's what would pay the difference.

M

meysplace

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer. I will definitely check into it, with the help of my lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">