• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help getting my record cleared enough to join military

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

link1992

What is the name of your state?Colorado

I was trying to enter into military service but was told that because I violated a restraining order 2 years ago I cannot join...because my record says I committed domestic violence.

What I did was I violated the restraining order by leaving some flowers and poem on a doorstep of a home I didn't know was listed on the restraining order. I was given 2 years probation and 9 months in a DV class. I am about to finish up my probation and I want to go into the service. How can I get my record to reflect the fact that I just violated the restraining order and didn't not commit an act of domestic violence because I want to serve my country and I don't think it is right that I can't because of some flowers left on a door step of a home. If you have any suggestions or additional questions please foward them here.

L

link1992

I have already been told by my recruiter that as long as I have the DV on my record I am disqualified from military service. I am trying to find a way to clear my record so I can join.

rmet4nzkx

If that is what the recruiter is telling you then that is it, if you got your record expunged they would still find it, looks like you will have to find a different career.

L

link1992

There still has to be a way I can at least get my records change to reflect the fact that it wasn't a DV charge but contemp of court instead(which what I was charged with).

L

link1992

I know I should have thought about it....but when you think you can save a marriage for the sake of your own children...people tend to do stupid things for love, but honestly I didn't even know the address I was going to was on the restraining order. So don't judge me....believe me I have done a lot with my life to fix my issues and get on with my life even though I never once threatened my ex nor did I ever hit her, nor would I hit her...even now after all the crap she has put me through. But unless you have something constructive to add to this post...stop posting you are not doing me any amount of good, but thanks for trying.

rmet4nzkx

This will be my last post to you.
Please understand, I am not judgeing you and understand things are not always under your control in divorces but your excuse didn't work for the judge then. If the military has a ban on DV histories then even if you somehow get the charge expunged or changed, they will still have access to the entire case history, so your only option is to go through the recruiter, I don't know what branch you are trying for, another might let you in, or even appeal to a higher level to get you in, but that is going to be the only way you are going to be able to do it, maybe you could write your congressmember?

L

link1992

Actually I didn't make any excuses to the judge. I told him the facts and he gave me my options and I was told it would be considered a contempt of court hearing not a domestic violence charge. My recruiter can't do anything beyond what he has already done.

Request a waiver.

Write out every detail about the incident and send it up the chain. And quit making excuses! The Jdge didn't feel simpathy for your story and you sure as hell shouldn't expect it from anyone in the military.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

The plain and simple fact of the matter is that you can't follow orders. The military is nothing but "orders". If you can't follow and obey simple Civil orders, then how are we to expect you, as a protector of this country, to follow stricter orders?

Pal, you've already proven yourself to be an ass-hole. We don't need another "military ass-hole" or another dead soldier. Disobedience of orders equates to dead people - - either you, or your partner.

Grow the phuk up!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">