• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicap ticket, parking lot full

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Machater

What is the name of your state? Texas
Im in highschool and school just started on the 16th, this year there are way to many kids who can drive, and the school issued everyone who wanted a parking sticker one, at a cost of $20 each, the school is using it to make money. I am a senior and i dont have to be at school untill 10:30, normal time is 9:05. By the time I got there today, there was not a SINGLE parking spot available in the student parking, except the handicap spots, so in my rush to not be late(its a good 15 minute walk from the parking lot to class) i just parked in a handicap spot, along with 3 other kids who had no choice. I figured I would be okay because at 12:00 i could go and move it. What is really stupid is that about 1/7 of the parking spots at my school are handicap, and we have no one who is handicap at my school currently driving.

I realize it IS my fault but at $250 for the ticket, I can't easily afford to pay this, neither can my parents. My question is, what would be my chances of getting the judge to either drop the ticket, reduce the fine, or whatever? Would the judge be understanding when I told him that I only did it because i did not want to be late(the handicap spots are actually farther away from the school than the non handicap because the parking lot is actually the football stadium parking, the school just uses it for kids during the day) or would the judge care that all the other parking spots were taken? I mean, i could have parking in a shopping center nearby, but then i would have been late, and that isnt really legal either, they have a sign saying no students are allowed to park.
Thanks

CdwJava

It would be a dangerous precedent for any judge to allow a successful argument for "there was no place else to park". My guess is that won't fly.

And, if parking tickets are handled the same way in TX that they are most anywhere else, a judge won't hear the case. You might have to appeal to a parking commissioner or some such person.

My suggestion would be to either get to school earlier, or park a couple blocks away and walk.

Carl

M

Machater

well the 2 tickets are from different counties, and yea, i could get to school earlier, but like i said, i start an hour and a half after most kids, so i would have to come to school that much earlier.

CdwJava

Machater said:
well the 2 tickets are from different counties, and yea, i could get to school earlier, but like i said, i start an hour and a half after most kids, so i would have to come to school that much earlier.
Then it seems you have two options if coming early is right out:

(1) Cross your fingers and hope for an open spot when school starts for you.

Or,

(2) Park a block or two away and actually walk on to campus.

The choice is yours since you now know that a handicap cite is going to result if you pull this stunt again.

Carl

dequeendistress

Ok, I have a solution to avoid future traffic/parking citations....have someone drop you off and pick you up.

You are showing irresponsibilty...I assume you were speeding to avoid being late and you parked in a H/C spot..to save time...again to avoid being late...It is YOUR responsibility to leave at a time to safely and LEGALLY arrive at your school or anywhere else.

If you feel so strongly about the inadequate parking at your school, I am sure there are others with the same concerns...get a petition and take it to the school asking them to address the situation or give you a grace period to arrive late....

*note, the last 8 words are sarcastic.

Last edited:

Happy Trails

**Seems the school oversold parking stickers. I would address that to the school board. But that doesn't help you with the ticket.

**Also, hope the Judge you have isn't hadicapped. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">