• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reproduction of recorded music for personal use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

audiophile71

undefined What is the name of your state? Washington

I am an avid music collector and I have had expensive and rare pieces of my collection stolen. Just before christmas I had $500 worth of CD's stolen out of my Truck. I was devastated so I bought a cd burner so that I could burn copies of the CD's I would be taking out of my home to prevent futher loss. If I am only copying the albums for my personal use and am retaing the originals ,that I purchased legally, Isn't it OK for me to preserve my investment? I am not selling, redistributing or in any other way trying to infringe on the copyright laws. I am just trying to preserve my collection that I have invested a lot of time and money into. :confused:
I also recently purchased a CD by Velvet Revolver and it has a virus imbedded in it that disables your ability to make MP3's or copies. Is that legal? :mad:

racer72

1. Yes, it is legal to make copies for personal use only.

2. Yes, it is legal for record companies to make CD's uncopyable. There are a couple of easy to use programs that can remove the copy guard. The programs are considered warez though, I will leave it up to you to find them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">