• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Email-based business dealings from FL to MA??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AlwaysInTrouble

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I have a small claims case I'd like to persue with a company based in Florida (who I believe is not yet registered in Florida but still in CT where the individual running it used to live). I'm in MA. All dealings were in writing through emails, but do these hold up in court? They can prove they are unaltered, right? And how does once file a small claims suit that goes from state to state like this? I've been told I don't have to send a 30 demand letter because it's not within my own state, and it's business to business, not consumer to business.

Basically the jist of it is.. I was hired for a service (promoting a compilation album so that bands would pay to be on it, and then to receive the compilations from this company to distribute at a concert here in MA in our "swag bags"). I promoted the service as agreed to (bands paid him directly to be on the comp), and then never received the discs or my payment for my services. I have a bunch of ripped off bands on my hands now, and not only did I not get paid, but now my legitimacy as a promoter is being questioned by many bands, including clients of mine.

Is there anything I can do?

JETX

What EXACTLY does your written agreement (you do have one don't you??) say as to venue???
If it is silent on the issue, then you can file anywhere you want.... and take the risk of them filing a motion to challenge your venue. You will then be able to explain your venue decision in a hearing. If the court agrees, then you proceed. If not, then you refile the case where it should have been in the first place.... in THEIR home state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">