• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I loose my car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

purplepuggsy

undefined[/FONt

I live in the state of Maryland. My exgirlfriend was in a car accident and the person whom she hit is sueing her. ( I was not in the car) The problem is she and I bought a truck together 2 years ago, so both her and my names are on the truck. Her attorney told her (so she says) that if the person sueing her wins that that lady can take my truck. The attorney told her that I should refianace the car in my name, which I am having trouble doing beacause I am so upside down in what I owe for the truck. Is this true can they take my truck when both of our names are on it. Why would they want the truck I owe 23k and it is only worth 17k blue book value? Wouldn't this be a liabilty not an assest. Please help!!!

JETX

purplepuggsy said:
The problem is she and I bought a truck together 2 years ago, so both her and my names are on the truck.
Your post isn't clear as to whether YOU have been included in the suit or not. Simply, if you are not named as a party to the suit and a judgment is rendered against HER only, you have nothing to worry about. However, if you have also been named (as a co-owner) of the vehicle, then a judgment could be rendered against you also. If that happens, then yes, the judgment creditor could pursue his/her claim against any non-exempt assets you have.

Why would they want the truck I owe 23k and it is only worth 17k blue book value? Wouldn't this be a liabilty not an assest.
Some states allow the judgment debtor to get ALL the proceeds of a forced sale by judgment.... some don't. In any case, are you named in the suit or not??

P

purplepuggsy

not in the suit

I was not in the car when she had her accident and am not on the name of her car, she just signed with me to get my truck. I am not listed on the suit.

JETX

purplepuggsy said:
I was not in the car when she had her accident and am not on the name of her car, she just signed with me to get my truck. I am not listed on the suit.
Than if you are NOT listed in the suit, you have nothing to worry about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">