• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non profit organization

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

union

What is the name of your state?california
Can a company force you to purchase a car after it has been past practice for over 35 years that the company either leases or purchases a car for business use. If you do not fill out the credit report they said they can fire you. :confused:

Last edited:

Beth3

Because they have provided a company vehicle in the past does not obligate them to continue to do so unless you have an employment contract that specifies they will. If having a car is now necessary for you to do your job, yes, they can fire you if you refuse to get one.

U

union

a way out

That is understandable,but if you already have a vehicle they say you still need to buy a new one to keep the integrity of our job. the price range of the car is 22 to 24 thousand and you need to choose a ford.they are giving us a 600 car allowance and .375 a mile for gas,insurance and maintenance of the car.How about if you do not have good credit and the payment is high. This figure was given for a person with perfect credit and good drivers record. As for the policy when i was hired it did not state that i needed to purchase a a new car. I also hold an elected position, and in the conditions of election there is nowhere that states us purchasing a car. What if i where to be laid off or fired. i would end up with a car and payment i didnt not want. :confused: :(

Last edited:

Beth3

Your argument is that the employer is being unreasonable. That may or may not be the case (there's not enough info to offer an opinion) but legally it's irrelevant.

If the employer wishes to now require you to purchase or lease a certain type of car, they are free to do so. By the way - they don't have to provide a car allowance; the terms of the allowance they're providing are generous. It's more than adequate to cover a car payment and related costs. If you lose your job, then sell the car. If you (or the individual involved) doesn't have good credit, that has nothing to do with the employer - that's a personal matter.

BTW, I wouldn't imagine that your being an elected union official has anything to do with this. Rather, it's the job you hold with your employer; the terms of your election are between you and the union local.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">