• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misrepresentation of age & lost paperwork

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

confused34

undefinedI am a resident of California but have spent the summer in the district of columbia working an internship. on August 11 i got arrested for "misrepresentation of age to enter ABC establishment." and was given a citation to return to court on the 20th. I sat in court and spoke with the duty attorney who told me I could participate in their "diversion" program through pre-trial services which allows people with minor offenses the option of doing community service in leiu of sentencing. Anyway, i sat in court all morning without being called and finally when the judge asked if anyone had not been called i went up and gave the court my paperwork. Neither the Judge nor nor the US Attorney's Office had a file for me so they had me just write my address down and let me free. The problem I have is that I am studying abroad in spain from Aug. 30- December 20 so if the court ever finds my file what venue should i pursue if they 1) want me to fly back to DC to handle it from California, 2) want me to fly back to DC from Spain? Do I have any rights because it was their mistake for not havig any information on me when i explicitly told them I did not live in the district? What should i do to best ensure this process goes smoothly as I am scheduled to fly home on Thursday August 26.

rmet4nzkx

I suggest you contact the US attorney's office on Monday morning and see if something can be worked out, you obviously don't have much time. Is it possible from someone at your internship to help? Also you might contact your congressmember's office while you are still there in DC, they may be able to help you.

Hummm just what were you thinking trying to enter such an establishment underage?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">