• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

settlement and hospital bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gpc

vermont,hit by a new york driver.

i was walking on the sidewalk.a guy was stoped at the stop light and turned right without looking while i was in front of him.he ran over my legs,breaking one in 3 places that needed a rod put in.
i got the hospital bill last week.they total $22,000.
the car insurance coverage is $25,000.
i had no health insurance.
today i just got the release papers from the lawyer for a settlement of the whole 25k.

if the hospital would have filed a claim with the insurance company,wouldn't it come out of the $25,000?
the hospital is sending the financial assistance forms,but if they find out that i got a settlement they'll want me to pay up.

people have said to go after the driver,but if there are no assets thats what i could get.i dont feel right going after an average joe anyway.
i'm kinda happy with 2/3 of $25,000,but not if i'm going to owe the hospital $22,000.

Tayla

I think there is confusion in your post. 1: The 25 k being awarded *IS* for the medical claim. So the 25 k your receiving goes to pay that. ( If i even read the post correctly...)

2: If your looking for further compensation for settlement from pain, suffering, pay loss and permanent damage, then yes, you'll need to go after the driver and his insurance company for further awardment.

Not sure why you wouldnt want to follow thru on the pain and suffering. It sounds like permanent damage has been caused and your rightly due compensation for such. But its your choice.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

"awardment"?

I always find it amusing when people make up their own words.

I hope everybody is in "agreeance" with that!

IAAL

Last edited:

Tayla

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

"awardment"?

I always find it amusing when people make up their own words.

I hope everybody is in "agreeance" with that!

IAAL
Glad to have been a source of amusement!
My spell checker, thesaurus, and dictionary are each on time out for that goof up!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">