• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer removed due to "conflict of interest"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kevmar44

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Ohio
I had an attorney for 1 & 1/2 years. During this time he represented me in court twice. Two weeks before we were to go to court for a child custody issue, my ex "suddenly" remembered he spoke to another attorney in the same office. The other attorney remembered speaking to him but there was no paperwork in their office to officially prove it. The matter went before a judge and my attorney was removed from my case. I don't think any dates had to be proven to show when my ex actually spoke with this attorney. My question is, do I have a case against the office of my attorney because they did not check the records to check and see if I had already spoken to an attorney in that office? My ex husband knew who my attorney was and he knew what office he worked in. I find it too coincidental that he "suddenly" remember two weeks before we were to go to court (I had a VERY strong case against him). My attorney and I had been preparing for the case for months and I owe him over $5,000! I don't feel I should have to pay all that money for a service that he did not actually perform due to negligence on the part of his office. Does anyone think I have a case?

Dandy Don

This is a difficult case to render an opinion on since you don't have definitive proof (phone records) that anyone from the attorney's office ever had conversations with your husband.

However if I were you I would only pay 3/4ths of the bill and leave the rest unpaid as a form of protest. If you mentioned the conflict of interest it would only cause more trouble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">