• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident in company vehicle on company time.. HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xTravBx

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Heres the story -

I worked for a landscaping company. On one occasion, my boss requested me to drive the company truck, and take care of some business while he was doing something else. While doing so, I damaged the truck while going in reverse. The attached trailer stopped moving, and in doing so, i backed the truck up into the trailer, leaving a dent and scrape on the rear bumper.

Now, he's requesting that I fix the damage, and he's with holding my check of $315.00

Is this legal? I feel since I was on company time doing something he requested with his vehicle, that he should take full responsibility for anything that may happen.

What should I do? Am I entitled to my $315? Am I required to fix his truck? Thanks in advance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
He CANNOT withhold your paycheck. However, whether or not he can hold you liable depends on a number of factors which we cannot assess on a message board.

You can file a complaint with the state DOL about the withholding of your paycheck and, incidently, check with them as to what your state law says about your responsibility for the damage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">