• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help please!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

momo4ks

What is the name of your state? Georgia, however the case is in Calif.
My 22 year old daughter is living with my parents in Calif. (we live in Ga) with her now 9 month old daughter. In the last 4-5 months my daughter had been taking off for days at a time, leaving the baby with my parents. Both of my parents are medically unable to care for this baby. My father is a diabetic and on methadone for pain. My mother has back problems and is not suppose to pick anything up. It has been brought to my attention by a cousin that my daughter is back on drugs again. My question is, if I report this to children and family services, is there a chance they will do anything about this situation. And if they do and decide to remove the baby, do I have more rights then my parents (there is no father listed at all).
I feel as if I need to report this to children services but am afraid that the baby will be placed in foster care.
I do have a brother in the area but even though he wasn't charged it was filed that he committed incest. I would hope they would not place my grandchild with him.
A little history on my family- I am a stay at home mom with three other children that are all homeschooled, my husband is disabled and is also home 24 hours a day. While we don't have any extra money, we get by with what we have (VA comp, Social Security, and workers comp).
I know my parents are financially straped (at least that is what they have told me)
Also, my parents are known to try and get custody of other people's children. My husband and I went through a two year battle with them regarding the same daughter, the also sued my brothers ex girlfriend for custody of her child even after they found out he wasn't my brothers.
I don't have the money for another battle but I am in great fear for my grandchild and feel that if necessar we are better equipped to care for her.
Please help!!!!

rmet4nzkx

Call CPS with your concerns including the additional informaiton about your parents health and history of custody battles, and your brothers history, let the courts make the decision what is in the child's best interest. While you may be willing, you are across the country and not financially able to take care of another child at this time and might take away from the time for your own to take care of a baby and home school your children. While you may not want it, Foster care may be in the best interest of your grandchild.

M

momo4ks

Foster Care

I have decided to go on and call CPS on Monday morning. As far as letting her go to foster care, if at all possible I am hoping that it will not be an option. As a former foster care system child (I was adopted at an older age), I feel I have to do everything possible to make sure she stays with family (with the exception of my brother).
My youngest child is just 3 so another child in the house is not much of a burden at all.
Thanks for your advise though!

rmet4nzkx

It is the best interest of the child, sometimes that means letting go of your personal needs or wants. You have a lot on your plate right now, please call CPS on Monday morning and take it from there, no matter the outcome, be sure to offer what you can to further the best interest of your grand child. :)

LdiJ

momo4ks said:
I have decided to go on and call CPS on Monday morning. As far as letting her go to foster care, if at all possible I am hoping that it will not be an option. As a former foster care system child (I was adopted at an older age), I feel I have to do everything possible to make sure she stays with family (with the exception of my brother).
My youngest child is just 3 so another child in the house is not much of a burden at all.
Thanks for your advise though!
Realistically, if CPS finds that your parents are not medically able to care for the child its very possible the child could be placed in foster care or even with your brother (since he was never actually charged). CPS often doesn't want the child removed from their state/their jurisdiction. Plus, CPS has a mandate to reunite children and parents whenever possible..which is another reason why CPS would want to keep the child in CA.

Its also possible that CPS may do nothing at all. The fact that your daughter lives with your parents, and they are the ones actually caring for the child, may be enough that CPS would choose not to act.

One thing that you might consider doing is calling CPS anonymously, just to get information. Explain the situation (refuse to give them your name or any other names in the first phone call) and try to get a feel for what they would or wouldn't do. Then get off the phone, think it through, and THEN decide whether or not to report it. Reporting it may very well be the right thing to do for your grandchild, but it certainly doesn't hurt to get all the information you can first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">