• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i want my property back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

helen1030

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? nevada
my boyfriend was arrested for auto theft. i wasn't there at the time,and was contacted by the police asking for my permission to enter. I gave the officers permission to enter. I informed the officer that i had a lot of merchandise in the room as i was trying to open a boutique and my boyfriend was helping me to market it. I was told by the arresting officer that all my merchandise would be left in the room and secured until i returned. 30 minutes later he calls me back and says they are confiscating everything, because there was reason to believe it was frauduatly purchased.
After 3 weeks went by, there were still no formal charges filed against my boyfriend. I called the D.A office 2 days ago to ask them to sign off on the hold of my merchandise, and was told the d.a. office declined the case, therefore no charges were brought against him. He is still in jail because of a hold from another state, ( i didn't even know him then). When i contacted the detective to ask him to release my items, he said that unless i provide receipts that i'm not getting anything back. he claims my boyfriend told him he bought the items with bad checks and credit cards. I know that was a lie, who would incriminate themselves so willingly.
my question, do they have the right to keep my merchandise when no charges were ever filed? If the d.a. turns the case down who is this detective to refuse to return the merchandise? What do i do? Do i really have to track down the receipts before my merchandise is returned?
Desperately seeking advice :confused:

racer72

Unless you show up with valid receipts, kiss the stuff goodbye. You say you want to go into business and keeping good records will be part of it. If you haven't learned to save every receipt by now, don't go into business for yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">