• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property line fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

augustla

What is the name of your state? Texas
My family recently purchased a home in Texas and immediately placed a privacy fence surrounding the backyard. At the time, the house next to us was not occupied. Neighbors moved in approximately 2 months after the purchase of our home in November 03. They placed a fence in their backyard also but did not tie their fence into our fence already erected. I am writing due to the fact that they feel they do not have to reimburse us for half of the fence line even though they are getting full use of the fence that we paid to be installed. Is their any legal obligation of our neighbors to pay for half of the fence that is on the shared property line? We would like some guidance before we further conversations regarding this matter. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
The Augusts

nextwife

NO! They had nothing to do with your decision to build a fence. They are entitled to fence a different line of their lot without being obligated to pay for part of a fence that was apparently already there when they moved into their home.

HomeGuru

augustla said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
My family recently purchased a home in Texas and immediately placed a privacy fence surrounding the backyard. At the time, the house next to us was not occupied. Neighbors moved in approximately 2 months after the purchase of our home in November 03. They placed a fence in their backyard also but did not tie their fence into our fence already erected. I am writing due to the fact that they feel they do not have to reimburse us for half of the fence line even though they are getting full use of the fence that we paid to be installed. Is their any legal obligation of our neighbors to pay for half of the fence that is on the shared property line? We would like some guidance before we further conversations regarding this matter. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
The Augusts
**A: what does your current survey indicate as to the location of the fence? Is it stradled and really on both properties?

A

augustla

The posts are located on the property line whereas the fence we installed is on our side. The neighbors butted their fence into our posts, and they are getting full use of the fence for their yard.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">