• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Named as co-defendant from former employee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jaxx07

What is the name of your state? Texas

I'm in no way a lawyer nor have I ever attempted to defend myself, but I have a few questions regarding a case that, apparently, I am involved in.

Today, I recieved a court reply from the Attorney General regarding a lawsuit that was evidently filed by my former employer against texas workforce commision (I was named as co-defendant). Over the past year, the employer has "appealed" my unemployment insurance benefits in which they claimed that I was not fired. The TWC found this not to be the case and dismissed them on the initial trial and the following 3 appeals. These were judgements ruled upon by the TWC itself.

In a post phone trial conversation with my former employee, I was told that my former employee's company was causing such a ruckas because they didn't like their unemployment taxes being raised and there was really no hard feelings. They also stated that this had nothing to do with me, just with TWC. In other words, they know I didn't do anything wrong, yet they contradict themselves by naming me as a defendant.

I have NOT been served any paperwork and have no way of defending any statements made about me. I would have never known there was an ongoing case if the attorney general (on behalf of TWC?) didn't forward me a copy of its answer. Isn't this a required step? Is there something I should do about this?

Secondary to this, I suspect that MOST of this doesn't even involve me. If this is the case, shouldn't they be filing a SEPERATE case against me?

If there is some legal form I should file that states that I never recieved the original complaint, please let me know where I can find a example so I don't look like the complete legal idiot that I am.

Thanks in advance

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">