• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gifts To Non-Family Members

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sea22

What is the name of your state?Washington State.
My neighbor who I was very close to passed away last week. Before she died, she called me from her hospital bed and asked if I wanted some of her things (Some high ticket collectibles, crystal and china). The neice (her only family at the time of her death) called to tell me she would give them to me so I received them. I have no idea if she had a will or not. Now I have received a letter from the Superior Court/lawyer that names the neice as Executrix and that probate has started. My questions are: 1.) Will I have to pay taxes on these items 2.) Why would I receive this letter? Do I assume I was in the Will for the items? 3.) If I ask the lawyer about the letter, will he tell the Executrix? I don't want her to know I am inquiring--I can tell she's already upset that I got these items because I am not family. Could she take them back from me? Thanks so much for your help.

Dandy Don

Normally the will is filed within 30 days after the death occurs. Go to the county courthouse probate court (or contact them by mail)--the fact that you received this letter means the will has already been filed, and you can request a copy of it, and she will not be notified that you have it. Yes, it is possible you were named in the will and that is one reason that the letter was sent to you.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">