• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocated in 2002, layed off in 2004, any recource?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cdoherty4

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My company relocated me from RI to Virginia in Jan 2002, The company is about to be sold and I was given written notice that my position will be eliminated by the Buyer. I am now Stuck in VA with out a Job. Is there a legal remedy?

Last edited:

Beth3

Is there a legal remedy? Not unless the employer guaranteed you continuing employment and even if they did, when an organization is sold all prior contracts and agreements are almost always void and are not binding on the new owner.

JETX

Beth3 said:
Is there a legal remedy? Not unless the employer guaranteed you continuing employment and even if they did, when an organization is sold all prior contracts and agreements are almost always void and are not binding on the new owner.
Or in the extremely unlikely event that they provided some type of WRITTEN guarantee to return you to Rhode Island if your job was eliminated within an allowed timeframe (which has NOT expired).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">