• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Names added to a bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BrockLee

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

My godmother entered a rest home about three years ago. At the time she added the names of her two cousins to one or more of her bank accounts, so they could handle expenses for her. I believe one cousin also had power of attorney.

My godmother passed away a few months ago. One of the cousins is the executor of the will. There will be a meeting this week at the Superior Court Probate office.

Are the cousins considered owners of those accounts (and would thereby inherit all monies within) or whether they are transferred to the estate and will be divided according to the will?

Do I, as one who is entitled to a share of the "remainder of the estate", have a right to get a full accounting of all transactions on the account since their names were added to it to make sure money was not taken out of the account for their own purposes?

Thank you in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">