• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

City Code Compliance - Boat parking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Enigmax009

What is the name of your state?
Florida

I live in Cooper City, a small residential area Southwest of Fort Lauderdale, FL with no homeowner association. Because of budget issues, the city's police department has handed over to the control of the Broward County Sherrif's office. BSO has been strictly enforcing code violations (previously not enforced) involving boats over 14ft length and 6ft high on owner's property.
We all have the boats ranging from 17 to 19ft on trailers behind 6ft high wood gates on the side of our house. There are 5 family's on my street alone who received notices of violation this week, and I am sure hundreds within the city limits. I called the city who advised that they have a commercial storage lot (very small) which currently has a one year waiting list. Can we get the code amended by petition or what options if any do we have besides paying hundreds of dollars to store the boats miles from our homes?

E

Enigmax009

Yes, the city owns the storage lot and the law concerning the boats is in the city code.

dequeendistress

Petition the city to change the code, write letters to local papers, organize others with the same concerns. (seems like a conflict to me)

amcfreek

HOWDY i am from pa ..{thinking may be required as with many of my posts , and an english to me tranlator may also be needed}
I have never been to fla .but i would hope its still in the united states of america ..
'as to me ..that city ordinance almost sounds comunist .{if you can get my drift}.
pardon my atitude but that ordinance sounds abit unreal who in fla doesent have a large boat ?.. and what purpose would such an ordinance affect anny way .. its behind a fence wich as far as i can see was an attempt to comply with the ordinance as you cant see it and the fence is considerecd a structure.boat is contained by structure . etc { a weak case maybe but a clear step in the right direction. }
but point is ,{question} did you park the boat thier before or after the ordinance?
14th amendment prohibits "blanket prohibition" remember roaring 20's .. liquore?
only good news i would have to say about this is if you were in pa , and you were doing this before the ordinance .. a case ruling called pa northwestern distributors vs township of moon ..

excellent ruling on blanket prohibition . as the 14th amendment requires the zoning officer to provide a clear danger or threat .. without a threat its just a boat behind a 6 foot fence and the fence was a "attempt to comply with the ordinance"

my worthless two cents

happy sailing

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">