• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does IRS require a closing letter request?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bell1056

What is the name of your state? FL
Been in long drawn out settlement with sister over Dad’s estate and we signed agreement in March spelling out distributions upon receipt of IRS closing letter. But longer this is drug out, I loose income from a rental property she holds which is to be transferred to me.

Estate has been through 18 month audit, and final payment to IRS was made 3 months ago. Was told you have to “ask” for Closing letter from IRS, which I’m wondering if she failed to do in order to continue to collect rental income.

Do you have to “ask” IRS for Closing letter when submitting final tax payment?
How long should it take to get such a letter?

Dandy Don

This is something you need to discuss with a local CPA or tax accountant who specializes in working with estates, or ask the IRS directly through their website www.irs.gov

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">