• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

driver, passenger?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

carpark56

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Indiana

While sitting in our parked car in a public parking lot, we were hit when a passenger in another car opened his door into us. There is quite a dent. The estimate is $500. The driver and passenger live together (college roommates). I got the insurance information from the driver, but as I found out later, she is no longer covered by that company and therefore gave us bogus information. We have called these kids several times, but have gotten nowhere and are ready to file in small claims court. The question is do we file against the driver of the car, or the passenger that opened the door, or both?

Thanks!

racer72

carpark56 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Indiana

While sitting in our parked car in a public parking lot, we were hit when a passenger in another car opened his door into us. There is quite a dent. The estimate is $500. The driver and passenger live together (college roommates). I got the insurance information from the driver, but as I found out later, she is no longer covered by that company and therefore gave us bogus information. We have called these kids several times, but have gotten nowhere and are ready to file in small claims court. The question is do we file against the driver of the car, or the passenger that opened the door, or both?

Thanks!
Both of them.

JETX

racer72 said:
Both of them.
Actually, you can file against both, but your claim against the driver will more than likely be dismissed as he had no involvement in the 'accident'. Your real claim is against the passenger for negligence (or malice if intentional) in opening the door.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">