• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP! Question on recall to active duty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nosyknowitall

What is the name of your state? Ohio

:( I have a friend that was discharged (either dishonorably or other than honorable) approximately in 1999. He spent one year in the national guards and then he went awol. After a couple of months, he contacted his recruiter and his recruiter told him that he would be discharged from the service. Well, he just got a letter stating that he had to return to the military and enlist and finish his last year over in Iraq? Is this legal? I know they have the ready reserve for members who retired, but he was discharged. Can they still make him reenlist? Is there anyway that he can get out of rejoining? He is suppose to report for active duties on August 31st! Can anyone give me advice on how I can keep him from going? Thanks a bunch.. :confused:

dequeendistress

I would strongly suggest he show on August 31.

The following is an exerpt from a DOD directive:

6.3.6. Failure to perform screening that the member has been ordered to
perform shall, barring unusual circumstances, be used as a basis for determining that the member has not participated satisfactorily in the Ready Reserve. Members whose participation has not been satisfactory may be processed, in accordance with DoD Directive 1215.13 (reference (o)), reference (n), and DoD Directive 1332.14 (reference (p)). IRR members may be retained in the IRR for the balance of their statutory MSO, current enlistment contract, or Service agreement, with a tentative characterization of service, normally under other than honorable conditions, only when the Military Department concerned has determined that the individual still possesses the potential for useful service under conditions of full mobilization.
6.3.7. The Military Services are required to maintain the current status of each
member's physical condition, dependency status, military qualifications, civilian
occupational skills, availability for service, to include current address, and other information

Also see http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=DoD+Directive+1332.14&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir?src=websearch&requestId=4d602596a0844232&clickedItemRank=1&userQuery=DoD+Directive+1332.14&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dtic.mil%2Fwhs%2Fdirectives%2Fcorres%2Fpdf2%2Fd133214p.pdf&invocationType=-&fromPage=NSCPResults&ampTest=1&remove_url=http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf2/d133214p.pdf

***Hence the “other than honorable discharged soldier” still has a military service obligation. You could call the local recruiter to obtain more information.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">