• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trampoline

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

swalsh

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
If I allow a group of children to jump on my trampoline and my guest also allows their child to jump as part of the group, what is my liability if there is an injury to the guest's child?

JETX

swalsh said:
what is my liability if there is an injury to the guest's child?
Depends on the injury and its circumstances. One reason why insurance company's do NOT provide homeowners insurance when you have a trampoline. And if you have a trampoline and your insurance company doesn't know it, they can deny your claim.

S

swalsh

Well, it's just a general question at this point since the trampoline is new. I guess I'm just aggravated with certain guests who apparently want me to set (and enforce) the rules for everyone visiting my home instead of themselves setting the rules for their own child (and consequently, being the "bad guy"). Why do visitors expect the homeowner to parent their children? I could understand this if I were babysitting their kids, but not when they are sitting right there. Thanks for letting me vent!! :confused:

JETX

swalsh said:
Why do visitors expect the homeowner to parent their children?
And why do people think that they have to let their visitors kids play on the trampoline just because they have one. Can't you say... NO.

Happy Trails

swalsh said:
Well, it's just a general question at this point since the trampoline is new. I guess I'm just aggravated with certain guests who apparently want me to set (and enforce) the rules for everyone visiting my home instead of themselves setting the rules for their own child (and consequently, being the "bad guy"). Why do visitors expect the homeowner to parent their children? I could understand this if I were babysitting their kids, but not when they are sitting right there. Thanks for letting me vent!! :confused:
**Yeah it sucks when your the only one with all the new toys. All of the sudden your place becomes the greatest hang-out place. We used to have kids playing in our yard before my kids were done with breakfast and then if I called my kids in to eat, they would continue to think they could just continue to play. I had to let them know that we were not a play ground!

esq2B

Generally since those children would be considered invitee's you have a duty to warn or make safe any natural or man made hazards. A warning would generally be suffcient. Also you may argue assumption of the risk.

S

S Dunbar

potential injury of a child on your property

Hi,
From my own experience, my son had a few friends over and they were running and playing hide and seek in the yard last year. The one friend got his foot stuck in the crook of a tree and broke his leg and had to have surgery and a pin put in his leg. We were of course upset because him and his parents are friends of ours. Well.. when it comes to Dr. bills... you will find out who your friends are. They called our insurance company and insisted that a claim be filed. Our insurance agent advised us not to cause any commotion about it and just submit the claim because they actually had the right to sue us. AND when the child himself turns 18 they can also sue on their own behalf if there are bad injuries. Allstate told us that even if you have a child playing on your lawn and a bee stings them and they are allergic... you technically are responsible... it stinks.. but that's how it is... now in a court of law.. i have no idea if it would stand up as a suit or not. We also have a swimming pool and my husband was hyper after this incident and asked allstate about posting a swim at your own risk sign... he said that it does not make any difference what sign you post.. such as even a "beware of dog" sign.. we eventually got over it, but it was sure hard to let the kids have friends over to swim and play for a while... luckily in our case so far nothing has gone any further and we are all still friends, but you never know..

Suzanne D
Helping to establish equal legal access for all under the law

Last edited by a moderator:

stephenk

"Allstate told us that even if you have a child playing on your lawn and a bee stings them and they are allergic... you technically are responsible"

Hahahahahahaha! what a load of crap.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">