• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

competition to hire me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

doctor_hire

What is the name of your state? NC

I am completing professional training at a University and am seeking employment. The faculty where I have trained very much want to hire me. I am seeking other possibilities, both to see if there is a better offer out there and also to leverage a better offer from my current school. I had very positive initial interviews and follow ups with two other places. However, last week, my school said they wanted meet with me right away about their job offer. The other schools suddenly do not return my calls. I believe that those in my school leaned on people they know at the other places so that they would not hire me. They consider me their trainee, so they should get to keep me as an employee. I know of examples of a certain person in our school doing this to other people. Is this illegal? Can I prove it?undefined

Beth3

Because you believe that is what happened, that does not mean it did. The burden of proof would be on you to demonstrate your employer inappropriately interfered with your employment prospects.

The other schools suddenly do not return my calls. I'm sorry to say that it's become commonplace for some employers not to return calls or get back to candidates they've interviewed. That does not mean that your present employer had anything to do with it.

D

doctor_hire

I see what you mean

I know what you mean that calls are often not returned, but this person said "We would love to have you join our team." It was just too positive for him to suddenly not be in touch.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When I was jobhunting not long ago, I can't tell you how many times I was told, "We'll get back to you either way" and I never heard word one from them again. And on two separate occasions I was told that it was all but definite, and then the job went to someone else at the last minute. I KNOW what my references say and it had nothing to do with what my past employers said about me; it's just the way some companies run their business.

Beth3

Yep - I agree. I have several good friends who are job hunting at the moment and for very senior positions who have run into this repeatedly. They're told the interview went extremely well and they'll be in touch no later than [date] - and that date comes and goes, the candidate's phone calls are not returned, and so on. It's both rude and very poor form.

One of my friends told me this week a place she interviewed at over a month ago called and wants her to return for a second interview. But in the interim, they never returned a single one of her phone calls or e-mails. Well, too bad for them. She's already accepted another offer.

D

doctor_hire

but the real issue is...

I appreciate all the replies, but the main thing I wanted to know about was whether if indeed what I think happened occurred, would it be illegal or just unfair. can employers do that? in other words, the two employers , which happen to be universities, have projects they work on together. one could say , we need this guy on our team and if you hire him, we won't help you with such and such.
would that be illegal? I am thinking of just telling my current school that I will not pursue employment with them so that their motivation to screw me is gone

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
IF the school is doing what you suspect, and you have by NO means convinced me that this is the case, then whether or not you have any legal recourse depends on a great many factors, including whether or not the schools have a "gentleman's agreement" not to hire each other's trainees (which IS legal); what your state considers "tortuous interferance with employment" or if they even have such a doctrine in your state; and probably six or seven other things as well.

You are going to have to provide a GREAT deal more evidence than you have done to convince me that your school has done ANYTHING, and the burden of proof would be ENTIRELY on you.

D

doctor_hire

why would gentleman's agreements not to hire each other's trainees be legal? it seems so unfair.

cbg said:
IF the school is doing what you suspect, and you have by NO means convinced me that this is the case, then whether or not you have any legal recourse depends on a great many factors, including whether or not the schools have a "gentleman's agreement" not to hire each other's trainees (which IS legal); what your state considers "tortuous interferance with employment" or if they even have such a doctrine in your state; and probably six or seven other things as well.

You are going to have to provide a GREAT deal more evidence than you have done to convince me that your school has done ANYTHING, and the burden of proof would be ENTIRELY on you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Perhaps it does. But they ARE legal, nonetheless. And you STILL haven't convinced me that your school has ANY connection with what has happened. What you describe is unfortunately quite common in the employment world today and rarely if ever does it have ANYTHING to do with previous employment or school.

D

doctor_hire

well it turns out I was totally wrong about everything. the guy from the other school called me today and was very positive about hiring me. he is trying to create a position for me, etc. so maybe I will get a job, maybe I won't , but it seems clear that I was totally wrong about the conspiracy. thanks for your posts. thanks a lot. paranoia gets the better of me sometimes, though I know this sort of thing does happen to people.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Glad it worked out for you. Maybe this experience will help you NOT jump to conclusions next time! Good luck with the new job (and the paranoia) :) !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">