• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Customer refuses refund, what now ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ckcumberland

What is the name of your state? TN

Greetings, First time poster here.

I run an online retail business. This is a problem that I've noticed cropping up more frequently these days. Here's the situation.

Customer orders product which we initially believe we can deliver.

We subsequently find we cannot deliver it

In less than 30 days we inform customer that we cannot deliver it and issue a full refund.

customer refuses refund, demands product that we can't get

customer says that "they are a police officer in another state" (somehow they are always in law enforcement), and that we "fraudulently sold product to them, the product is their's, threatens criminal action, etc."

there is no way we can get this product, however our refund still stands, providing he will accept it.

Where do we stand ?

Dandy Don

The threats are idle, but what do you mean when you say "customer refuses refund"--just an oral comment by them that they don't want it?

Please consider issuing along with the refund check a letter that mentions that the original product ordered is not available and it does not appear that it will ever be in stock again. If you issue the refund check and then they don't cash it, then And also put a disclaimer on your website so that the customer has a warning about what to expect.

You seriously need to examine your buying patterns/supply sources to figure out why you are advertising products that you don't have in stock. Please give an example of the types of items your customer wants but can't get.

gjs8806

They can make many threats and I have been in a business like yours so i know what you mean. They cannot do anything to you as long as you give them the refund you cannot hold there money, but they will get pissed off by not getting the product and probably leave you negative feedback. If you use paypal you must refund the before 30 days or you will pay the fees and they can file a claim against you. I would suggest to you to stop selling things you do not have.

Greg

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">