• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death Sentence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GipCs

What is the name of your state? Alabama
While residing in Louisiana, my Wife was diagnosed with Cervical Cancer Stage 3/4 last November. We made many trips to MD Anderson in Houston for testing. From Jan '04 thru March '04, she received 26 Radiation Treatments (24 external & 2 Internal). She also received 6 Chemotherapy Treatments (Cisplatin). I had to resign my Federal job of 15 years to care for her. In May '04 a CT Scan w/contrast was done as a follow up after all treatments. The scan indicated NO ACTIVE Cancer cells. So, on June 10, 2004 we sell our house and move to Alabama where we own a cleaning business. My Wife did not want to return to Houston, as the drive was too far for her. So, I located an Oncologist in Pensacola Florida for her. She went for her first visit and he did a general exam of her. He ordered an MRI of the abdomen to be completed. About a week or so later, with the MRI complete, he tells her that her body is riddled with Cancer. He tells her any treatment is hopeless and would only delay her demise. My Wife asked about a P.E.T. Scan and he told her "In my experience, I do not need a P.E.T. Scan to tell me what I already know". Maybe 5 days later, she is admitted to the Hospital with severe pain. She is dehydrated and impacted. This scenario has happened many times previously. No-one listened to me because I do not have MD, RN, etc., behind my name. So, she is admitted and the next day or so her Doctor tells me without Dialysis she won't make it through the weekend. Since she has a living will, dialysis was not an option. He recommends Hospice Care. So, he says to call all of her family in ASAP! Everyone came as requested from Washington, Connecticut, New England, Georgia. I called and made Funeral arrangements. We make it through the weekend and the following Tuesday they tell me she is being discharged from the hospital on Wednesday. I go to a Health Care Facility in Foley, AL and pay $4000 for her first 30 day stay. She is transferred to the facility on August 11th. After settling in, we begin to watch for signs (as we were told) of impending death. We are told the body will prepare itself. The body will not allow her to eat or drink, etc., The Hospice Nurse immediately reduces the IV solution as her feet/knees are swollen 3 times there normal size. She told us according to the hospital records, she was receiving 150cc+ of fluids and that was far too much. She said her the swelling is directly attributed to the excessive fluids. So, after 3 or 4 days with no IV the swelling subsides. She is up on her own, doing her nails, walking the hallway, kidneys are functioning like Niagara Falls and the Impaction is cleared. She is eating and drinking in massive amounts. I call the Doctor and ask that a P.E.T. Scan be done to exact the truth of the situation. I receive a message from his Nurse, as he is in Surgery, a P.E.T. is not needed and will not be completed.
I call MD Anderson and the RadioOncologist who treated my wife, asked me to overnight the MRI's to her. he feels the Doctor has made a grave mistake. I overnighted the MRI's and 2 days later, I get a call from the RadioOncologist.
She said "Your Wife has NO active Cancer, the MRI's show nothing different from the CT Scan done in May '04. The Doctor there has made a grave mistake. Your Wife is not in a Life threatening situation".
We removed my Wife from the Health Care facility Friday Aug. 20. She is at home doing pretty good considering the emotional roller coaster the past few weeks.
There is much more to this story, but this situation is at the forefront now.

My Wife wants to take legal action against the Doctor who gave her the Death Sentence.
Any suggestions, comments are greatly appreciated.

ellencee

Obviously your wife needed the medical treatment that she received. Whether or not the MD misread any diagnositic evidence can not be determined by your account. The x-ray films may or may not have shown cancer and before I breathed a sigh of relief, I would have the test repeated. I have known of patients to have zero indication of cancer on x-ray films, which includes MRIs, and yet to have metastatic cancer throughout their abdomen; the reverse is true, too. I have known of indicators for cancer to be present and highly indicative of a metastatic process only to find out later that no cancer was present.

Medical diagnostic technology and techniques are not 'exact' and do not yield the total or 100% accurate diagnoses all of the time. It is not expected to do so and it never will be. It is not malpractice or negligence for an MD to make the wrong diagnosis if the MD is following proper procedure, which includes making a diagnosis based on his experience.

I do not see any area that suggests malpractice or negligence.

Best wishes to you and your wife; I hope she remains without any signs of active cancer.
EC

gryndor

GipCs: This has nothing to do with your question, but I think it may help.

My mother had stage 3 breast cancer that metastasized into her pelvis bone and lymph nodes. She had no chemotherapy or radiation treatments, and she has been in remission for the last two years.

She is on several supplements, gets an IV of some kind of meds every month and most importantly to her long-term health, she has changed her diet (70% alkaline and 30% acidic). In doing so she can control her cancer, and if you are interested in this information, I would be more than happy to help you out.

Please email me at [email protected]

Gryn

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">