• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Customer refusing to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My husband (John) owns a small concrete and masonry business.

He recently completed a pool deck for a client who no matter what my husband did, the guy wasn't going to be happy (beyond anal). John's gut instinct before he even did the job was to walk away. We have a signed contract that states payment due on completion. There is one minor flaw in the pool deck (that will eventually have a building on it and never be seen) and the client is refusing to pay, claiming he shouldn't have to pay for something he doesn't feel is meets his aesthetic standards. This customer has also called my husbands vendors in a very harassing way to try to "get evidence" that the job wasn't done right. He's now threatening to sue John to have someone else come out and tear it out and replace it at John’s expense.

Does John have any legal rights at all? If we don't send an actual bill, does this guy even have a leg to stand on? Can he really sue us? The job was a quality job and within industry standards.

We get at least one of these a year where it's pretty obvious that a customer wants something for nothing and we usually end up walking away and eating the bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">