• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Splitting up Medical payments??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cpedrich

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I am in the durable medical equipment business. We file insurance claims for our customers. Most of the time, insurance will pay 80% of the charges leaving the remaining 20% as patient responsibility. That 20% can equal well over $100.

My question is regarding splitting up payments for the remaining 20%, which I am asked to do quite often. I have heard in numerous collection seminars that if you were to accept a $5 check as a payment, then you are in a binding contract to accept $5 per month until the bill is paid. I wanted to double check that here to make sure. I have my first $5 payment that I do not want to deposit if this is true. I do not mind at all splitting up payments, but I really can not run a business on $5 per month.

Thank you so much for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">